faulty X9 back derailleur

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
I have had a new x9 derailleur fitted (under warranty exchange), and since I have been struggling to index the gear properly. I have disconnected the shift cable, and manually move the derailleur to go down in gears, when I release it, it stops just before the smallest cog. I have played with the "H" screw, but I have noticed that if I pulled the derailleur back with my hand (kind of helping it to come back), then it hits the smallest cog. So my question is could that new derailleur be faulty (I have read of some problem with some X9)? I have put some oil on the pivot to see it this could help,not sure if I can use some WD40 as there are some rubber/plastic spacer on the pivots.I hope I made myself clear.
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    back to the shop they have not fitted it correctly.

it may not be anything to do with the mech. bent hanger/frame?

but if you are going to do the work read the manual and make sure you set the gap between the top jockey wheen and cassette as stated in the manual.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jeannot18
    nicklouse wrote:
    back to the shop they have not fitted it correctly.

it may not be anything to do with the mech. bent hanger/frame?

but if you are going to do the work read the manual and make sure you set the gap between the top jockey wheen and cassette as stated in the manual.
    Thanks Nicklouse, don't think that the mech hanger is bent.One strange thing though is that where you "anchor" the cable, on the PDF brochure it shows the cable going at the front of the derailleur,but on mine - and this is the way it was fitted by Decathlon - the cable is going behind and through a little plate where the cable sits nicely.I have tried to pass the cable at the front like the brochure shows it, but it makes the cable jump out of the guide.I wonder if there are different kind of X9 mech.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I've had this problem to a degree on 3 bikes, 2 with x9 1 with x0, I don't know if its a build up of tolerances or some change in manufacturing but they all stuck and would not go into the smallest cog after a relatively small amount of use, never had this problem previously on older x9/0.

I ruled out cables & routing by taking the shifter off the bike & running a new cable direct to the mech, turned out to be stiff/sticking pivots on the mech itself.

Try soaking with penetrating oil and work the mech through its travel in order to get it freed up, also make sure you lube the pivots well after cleaning/wet rides.

The x0 mech I have is so sensitive to set up, the slightest resistance on the cable and the shifting is all over the shop...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • jeannot18
    pilch wrote:
    I've had this problem to a degree on 3 bikes, 2 with x9 1 with x0, I don't know if its a build up of tolerances or some change in manufacturing but they all stuck and would not go into the smallest cog after a relatively small amount of use, never had this problem previously on older x9/0.

I ruled out cables & routing by taking the shifter off the bike & running a new cable direct to the mech, turned out to be stiff/sticking pivots on the mech itself.

Try soaking with penetrating oil and work the mech through its travel in order to get it freed up, also make sure you lube the pivots well after cleaning/wet rides.

The x0 mech I have is so sensitive to set up, the slightest resistance on the cable and the shifting is all over the shop...
    Thanks pilch, I think this is what is happening,because no matter on how much I turn the "H" screw it does not go, and yet a little push with the finger and the chain snaps onto the smallest cog. I know I could Google that, but what do you mean by "penetrating oil",thanks
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • jeannot18
    Went for a quick spin around my local trail, and glad to report that the gear indexing is so much better, what a joy to ride without the gears jumping in and out and the change of gear happening when it is needed.
    Changing the cable I guess made a difference, i will keep on lubricating the back derailleur too.
    A happy rider tonight :D:D
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Good to see you got it fixed mate. Penetrating oil = WD40/GT85 or similar. I find a squirt of WD to clean out the gunk then something a bit thicker after works well (my Alivio rear mech sometimes does this :roll:). I use 3 in 1 for this (don't use it on your chain though :shock:). Also give your cables a good lube to especially the final section going to the mech.

Thanks
  • jeannot18
    Good to see you got it fixed mate. Penetrating oil = WD40/GT85 or similar. I find a squirt of WD to clean out the gunk then something a bit thicker after works well (my Alivio rear mech sometimes does this :roll:). I use 3 in 1 for this (don't use it on your chain though :shock:). Also give your cables a good lube to especially the final section going to the mech.

Thanks
    Thanks for the tip. Went for a ride today and the bike delivered quality gear changing, the best so far for a long time. It makes the riding so much easier. Can WD40 or GT85 damage the rubber/plastic spacer?
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Its a known problem for the X9 derailleurs, had it on my old one the pivots are poorly made. Changed it to an X0 and not had the problem once.

Wait till you get a muddy ride and that lube disappears, it'll get stuck again and again mid ride.