Stockwell roundabout

Bikequin
Bikequin Posts: 402
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this has been posted before but the cycle superhighway round Stockwell roundabout is an accident waiting to happen. Going towards to town there is a portion which is segregated from the traffic, fine however this encourages everyone to filter up the left hand side of all the traffic, again fine until you exit the roundabout and it brings you into the bus lane at this point I think its pretty dangerous for newer cyclists. This piece of concrete that separates the cycle lane forces buses to turn left quite slowly off the roundabout, unfortunately a lot of cyclists see this as an opportunity to dash up the inside of the bus, however inevitably the bus then pulls to the left into the bus lane once round the corner. I saw two guys almost get squashed like this morning - one of them being inches away from being taken out.

Be interesting to hear the thoughts of other who use this piece of road, but more generally traffic planning that activity encourages cyclists to filter up the LHS of left turning traffic is surely insane?
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Agree, preferred it before the oh so superhighway. I woul ignore the segregated bike lane if its busy and take primary through the main lane but can see how newcomers to commuting might not do the same.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bikequin wrote:
    Apologies if this has been posted before but the cycle superhighway round Stockwell roundabout is an accident waiting to happen. Going towards to town there is a portion which is segregated from the traffic, fine however this encourages everyone to filter up the left hand side of all the traffic, again fine until you exit the roundabout and it brings you into the bus lane at this point I think its pretty dangerous for newer cyclists. This piece of concrete that separates the cycle lane forces buses to turn left quite slowly off the roundabout, unfortunately a lot of cyclists see this as an opportunity to dash up the inside of the bus, however inevitably the bus then pulls to the left into the bus lane once round the corner. I saw two guys almost get squashed like this morning - one of them being inches away from being taken out.

Be interesting to hear the thoughts of other who use this piece of road, but more generally traffic planning that activity encourages cyclists to filter up the LHS of left turning traffic is surely insane?

I used this for the first time yesterday (coming back from a meeting). It really is a very odd bit of road design. I'm never a fan of those concrete separators either - elected not to use it. I can completely see how it encourages people to filter dangerously. Sadly the people that designed these bloody things are not cyclists.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Stockwelll was hardly cycle friendly before the CS was installed and in my view it's marginally better heading into town (traffic is slowed pulling away from the lights by the raised island and reduction in lanes), but it's still poor IMO. I don't bother using the 2nd piece of infrastructure - the 10m segregated lane in front of Stockwell Terrace and just take the traffic lane instead (19/20 cyclists use the CS lane IME). I've seen incidents like you describe - the bus tries to move into the bus lane as dozens of cyclists are flowing through the cycle lane into the bus lane. Generally though, bus drivers are patient here.

When I asked about the CS at Stockwell when it was implemented, this was the stock reply from TFL:

At Stockwell, work was also done to the gyratory as part of the Cycle Superhighway programme to remove barriers to cycling. The layout of the northbound route was altered to improve priority for cyclists by installing physical measures such as a protective island and a segregated cycle lane on Stockwell Terrace. Improved Advanced Stop Lines have also been installed throughout the gyratory for cyclists to get ahead of traffic at the traffic lights. The gyratory is now more cycle friendly and an important element of CS7 as many cyclists pass through here.

Initial observations and comments from cyclists indicate that the new layouts at both Oval and Stockwell have been welcomed as significant improvements.

@BQ if you want a contact in TFL who deals with CSs, let me know by PM and I'll send you their details.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    That's on my commute to/from work and whilst I like the cycle lane, I'm not impressed with the concrete segment even though I use it during the week. Fortunately buses give me room for the most part and I give them a wide berth if they are in front. I still wince when I see cyclists haring up the inside even though the bus has clearly signalled whilst moving to the left.

As for the Oval!! Nonsense design and causes confusion all round, idiotic cyclists notwithstanding.*

*Occasionally, I've been one of those idiotic cyclists due to lack of awareness :oops: