post-workout supplements

deveng
deveng Posts: 132
edited August 2012 in Health, fitness & training
I've recently started training again, just doing body-weight resistant work at home (dips, chin ups, press ups, squats) and I'm really struggling with recovery - without pushing myself that hard I'm really suffering for about 3-4 days with very limited strength and very sore muscles.

When I used to train I religiously had protein shakes afterwards, and never used to suffer like this - so am I doing something wrong when I'm training (I warm up and stretch afterwards) or is my body just craving protein to repair itself more effectively?

I don't have an especially high protein diet if I'm honest, but my diet is pretty balanced and I eat a fairly decent amount!
Wilier Izoard XP 105
Saracen Zen 1
SRAM/RaceFace 1x10

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
  • deveng

Thank you, more training and a dose of "manning up" it is then.
    Wilier Izoard XP 105
    Saracen Zen 1
    SRAM/RaceFace 1x10
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    deveng wrote:
    I've recently started training again,
    ...I'm really suffering for about 3-4 days with very limited strength and very sore muscles.

It'll go in time.
    I'm adamant that all this sports nutrition crap is unnecessary. Just train, then take a rest day or two, and eat relatively healthily.
  • Hypotonic fluid and bananas.

Although, after watching the BBC series about sports drinks and doing a bit of research (being interested in the area) I'm now almost convinced that a glass of semi skimmed milk is a brilliant way, as a sort of booster, to replace fluids, salts, minerals and vitamins after sport.

I'm not a fan of protein shakes, especially anything containing creatine, as your body will become dependent on them. Yes, you'll get gains quick, but won't sustain it unless you keep on the shakes.

Healthy, balanced and sensible diet is the way forward*

*must include lots of bacon.
  • Girya
    Girya Posts: 23
    Sounds to me like you have started like many do, in at the deep end, straight into a program of squats, dips, etc. without doing some easier body weight training and getting the body used to it and building the strength slowly.
  • deveng
    My training plan isn't especially stretching, I'm not in bad shape now and I'm not repping to failure so I wouldn't say I'm in at the deep end.

I did a similar session last night and feel better than I have done previously, but it might just be in my head! I'm going to keep ploughing on and see how I feel in a week or two!
    Wilier Izoard XP 105
    Saracen Zen 1
    SRAM/RaceFace 1x10
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Stretch, milk, banana. I do have protein shakes too, but milk does the trick for recovery.

It works for me.
  • Girya
    Girya Posts: 23
    Healthy post workout drink, for post biking or TacFit Spetsnaz sessions, tastes better than any protein mix in the kitchen

3 tbsp Almond Butter
    250ml Coconut Water
    2tsp Cocoa
    1tsp Cinnamon
    50ml Water
    Ice cube

Blend and drink

Also take high quality cod liver oil capsules