Rider Down, Brixton Road - Me!

2»

Comments

• memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    Anyone else enjoying the placement of the 'PROLEGAL' advert on this thread...
    Glad all is good dude!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    memsley89 wrote:
    Anyone else enjoying the placement of the 'PROLEGAL' advert on this thread...
    Glad all is good dude!

Ha! :lol: How does that happen?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Glad you're ok. There does seem to be a culture of aggression and blame among many people in that part of London.

Oy! I'll have you know 'that part of London' as some very very nice people. Clearly that idiot driver and companion were from elsewhere and were only passing through :P

Glad it wasn't worse Kelsen. I agree with the others that you should press some kind of 'claim' on the witch.

Brixton is on the way to Croydon......
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    No better way of saying 's*d you and the horse you rode in on' than sending a solicitors letter. Makes you feel like a criminal just reading one!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Phoned the British Cycling legal advice line. They took down some details and said a solicitor would be in contact. I guess I shouldn't say anything more now to prejudice the case, but thanks for all the support which has persuaded me to follow it up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Well done Kelsen, sounds like you're doing the right thing. Completely agree with Vermin on this point:
    vermin wrote:
    kelsen wrote:
    Not really fussed about the compensation side of it

Great attitude and I always feel the same way. Bear in mind, though, that she WOULD be fussed about having to pay you even a penny. It's about the principle and changing peoples' attitudes, not trying to make a fast buck. Not all lawyers are 'ambulance chasers'!

Regarding not all lawyers being ambulance chasers, there has to be an exception to prove every rule. :wink:
  • kelsen
    just thought i'd give an update on this incident.

Driver has admitted liability and solicitor is in the process of settling. Compensation still to be agreed but the main thing is justice has been served and hopefully the driver will get a hefty chunk added to her insurance premium come renewal time; and learnt a valuable lesson to be more careful when passing cyclists in the future and that mouthing off isn't a very good strategy when they are blatantly in the wrong.

Thanks everyone for all your support and words of encouragement to pursue this matter further. I'd rather the whole thing hadn't happened in the first place, but the positive outcome shows that we do not necessarily always have to be the helpless victims of careless driving.
  • vermin
    Super news. Well done.
  • vermin
    Super news. Well done.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So super he said it twice ;).

Good news.
  • vermin
    So super he said it twice ;).

Good news.

Oh FFS! :evil:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Nice result.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • vermin
    Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd be onto the Police asking them when she'll be charged with careless driving, 3 points will wake her up a bit!

I find 1-series and Mini's (both BMW's...quelle surprise) the worst, although I also drive a 3-series so were not all bad!

In my experience, the biggest problem with bad drivers is that they can't recognise that fact and then take appropraite action to correct it, they are convinced they are in the right at all times......I am, of course, a driver of superior intellect and capability......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    edited September 2012
    Flamin double post!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Good news
    Good news
    What is it with this thread and everybody posting twice?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Good news
    Good news
    Weird
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Good news
    Good news
    Weird
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Funny thing is, most of us post so much crap, it's not even worth posting once, never mind twice ;)
  • PBo
    Funny thing is, most of us post so much crap, it's not even worth posting once, never mind twice ;)
  • The Rookie
    I clicked submit, nothing happened (after about 5 minutes I still had the spinny 'somethings happening symbol') clicked again and double post.........what can I say.....
  • PBo
    I clicked submit, nothing happened (after about 5 minutes I still had the spinny 'somethings happening symbol') clicked again and double post.........what can I say.....

Just say it twice, is all...
  • kelsen
    I'd be onto the Police asking them when she'll be charged with careless driving, 3 points will wake her up a bit!
    I think the point has been made and hopefully she will be more careful when she gets behind the wheel; so there is nothing to be gained in chasing for more retribution.

In a completely unrelated incident, last night a young lady in a VW Polo did a sudden U turn from the other side of the road nearly straight into me whilst I was doing about 20mph downhill. I just managed to avoid the front of her car with a frantic grab of the brakes followed by some fishtailing and weaving. I slowed down ahead to have a word with her but she sailed past. I caught up again further down the road as she was held up at the lights. I pulled up next to the driver side and signalled for her to wind the window down, ready to remonstrate with her.

"I didn't see you!" she confessed before I could say anything
    ".....did you even see me back there?!" I asked unnecessarily
    "No I didn't" she replied with a forlorn look
    "Erm...ok...try to be more careful ok!" I chastised weakly
    "Yeah, ok" she replied with a dazzling smile

At this point I pedalled away confused and deflated :oops:
  • kelsen wrote:
    I think the point has been made and hopefully she will be more careful when she gets behind the wheel; so there is nothing to be gained in chasing for more retribution.

In a completely unrelated incident, last night a young lady in a VW Polo did a sudden U turn from the other side of the road nearly straight into me whilst I was doing about 20mph downhill. I just managed to avoid the front of her car with a frantic grab of the brakes followed by some fishtailing and weaving. I slowed down ahead to have a word with her but she sailed past. I caught up again further down the road as she was held up at the lights. I pulled up next to the driver side and signalled for her to wind the window down, ready to remonstrate with her.

"I didn't see you!" she confessed before I could say anything
    ".....did you even see me back there?!" I asked unnecessarily
    "No I didn't" she replied with a forlorn look
    "Erm...ok...try to be more careful ok!" I chastised weakly
    "Yeah, ok" she replied with a dazzling smile

At this point I pedalled away confused and deflated :oops:

I doubt they would do anything anyway, the police don't usually bother hadning out points for crashes with cyclists, no matter how bad the injuries. When a driver pulled across in front of me, causing me to hit his left wing and be catapulted over the road which destroyed the bike. An ambulance rushed me to hospital for checks and the police attended etc. The driver eventually admitted responsibility (he had turned right across my path) but all he got was a safety awareness course...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Because of general police inaction in these cases, the best course of action if you want to see some kind of retribution is to get the no win no fee guys onto him as you have, hopefully this will hit the wallet hard...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Best to assume that your words of wisdom have arrived in the DB soon after you hit submit. When it happens I check by opening the thread in a new tab and lo - there is my address to the nation, despite the submission page still sitting there apparently locked.
  • kelsen
    Because of general police inaction in these cases, the best course of action if you want to see some kind of retribution is to get the no win no fee guys onto him as you have, hopefully this will hit the wallet hard...
    +1, or join BC or CTC before you have an accident (see the bargains thread for my post on how to get BC membership for £1.90)

I filed an incident report at the police station the day after and was told I would receive a reference by post within a week. Nuh-uh, nothing. The form is probably still sitting on someone's desk under a cup of tea and a doughnut.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    kelsen wrote:

I filed an incident report at the police station the day after and was told I would receive a reference by post within a week. Nuh-uh, nothing. The form is probably still sitting on someone's desk under a cup of tea and a doughnut.

Keep calling them.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'm currently a witness to another cyclist getting knocked off. The driver performed an illegal u-turn through the centre 'hatchings' but took a cyclist down. I was just behind on my bike. Despite my photos of the scene, my and the cyclists account, the fact that the police are charging the driver, he is still contesting liability - 6 months later.

Very clear case of bad driving. Anyway, I'm sure I spotted the guy last night at the local petrol station - very distinctive in appearance, driving a black cab - the accident was in a 'normal car' - explains the 'didn't do it' attitude then - effing taxi drivers.