Advice

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited August 2012 in Amateur race
This is one of those things that isn't worth dwelling on but the volley of verbal abuse I received annoyed me enough for it to stick in my mind...

Going up the last hill during a race, some guy in front of me couldn't hack the pace and came to a virtual standstill relative to everyone else. I was behind him with a line of people coming past me on my right, yet there was a big enough gap on the left between him and the kerb for me to get through.
When I realised what was happening I had about 1 second to make a decision. Should I have :

a) gone past him through the gap on his left, clearly telling him that I was coming past on his left
b) stayed behind him, slowed right down & lost all my momentum, cause the same problem for everyone behind me then get off and walk up the hill
c) pulled out on the right, causing everyone who was coming past to swerve

Bear in mind that there were no point scoring places left so I wasn't trying to win, just trying to get up the hill without stopping.

I think it's a bit childish to start throwing insults at people, whether they're in the wrong or not. But on the other hand I have a conscience, am mindful of the moves I make and if someone calls me out for something I've done, I can't help thinking I may have done something wrong. What do you think?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd probably have gone past on the left and shouted inside or left at him. But if there were no points to be had anyway then the guy that gave you the abuse is probably just a muppet.

What did you do?
    More problems but still living....
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I'd have gone through on the left also in the scenario you described telling stalling boy "on your left" as I began to move.
    If it was the clown coming to a standstill who gave you a mouthful I'd probably have caught up with him after the finish and ask him what his problem was.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    What sort of race was it?, road race or closed circuit?, not that it makes much of a difference, just trying to get a feel for the circumstances.

I've done a few closed circuit crits, and passed, and been passed on the inside with no problems, but always told, or been told "INSIDE" before the move
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    No points at stake? Just take it easy so you don't cause a pile up.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Firstly, its the guy who came to a standstills fault, not yours. Even if you blow up and know you aren't going to win in that situation you still need to keep going as if your life depended on it so as not to cause a crash.

That said, with a break up the road its a no brainer - sit up - otherwise I'd move out on the right as smoothly as you can whilst screaming "OUT" repeatedly and loudly. Then grumbled about the twunt who blew on the finishing hill in the changing room.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Gone on the left, also in hindsight you should not have got behind him in the forst place, al;ways try to look at riders and see their strengths and weakmesses during the race to avoid such problems.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I suspect that was a bit of a no-win situation.

You went left and cut in front of someone who wasn't expecting it (probably because they were on the limit and not looking up the road) and reacted badly but your alternative was to jump on the brakes for no apparent reason in front of someone else.

I don't know how big the gap was but from your description I'd probably have gone left (the biggest gap) and yelled 'left' as I did it.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Just abuse back. I've had some awesome verbal fights in races :D
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I like to think I'm better than that. I prefer to take the mature, grown-up option and abuse people on forums instead
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Herbsman wrote:
    I like to think I'm better than that. I prefer to take the mature, grown-up option and abuse people on forums instead

Can't get punched through a computer screen I suppose :twisted: