Newbie - Upgrade or Buy New?

albus16
albus16 Posts: 18
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to all this lark and need some wholesale advice.

My situation is this...

I used to be very much into MTBing in a very amateur-ish kind of way. I was a fearless 17 year old and my bike got used for trail-riding but also a football post etc. I have a Claud Butler Stone River 2005:

http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/cb05/stoneriver.html

I haven't used it for some years now but I want to start up biking properly again.

I don't need anything too flashy and the CB would do me fine however, it is in need if some upgrades (some necessity, some desirable). For example, the front forks are beyond repair (plus they are rubbish anyway), the tyres have perished and the drivetrain is battered. On top of this I have been looking into some disc brakes which would require new wheels probably.

So all in all, after doing some rudimentary maths, for new wheels, forks, brakes and tyres plus a few other bits I am looking at around £300 outlay. if I was to buy a whole new bike my budget wouldn't be enormous, maybe up to £600

So my dilemma is this: Do I upgrade my current bike and then upgrade in a few years, or just bite the bullet now and get a new one? I notice wiggle have some good offers on at the moment. I fear I know what you will all say: "your bike is rubbish and you should buy a new one" but I need some people in the know to confirm this in my own head because I don't want to part with loads of cash!

If you do think I should buy a new one, are there any on the market in my price bracket with good reputations? I've been out the game so long I don't know what's what any more!

Any advice for my situation would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance and sorry for the waffly nature of this post

Alex

Comments