joggingjohn Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in Road beginners

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    lots of cheap ways to find out

get a longer stem, raise ,lower handle bars

get a layback seat post.

give these a try and see how you get on.
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    When you ride with your hands on the hoods look down, with a perfect fit the handlebar will line up with the front hub. If the hub is in front of the handlebar the reach can be extended by fitting a longer stem.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Post a pic of you on the bike and the forum experts will assess your bike fit.
    More problems but still living....
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    amaferanga wrote:
    Post a pic of you on the bike and the forum experts will assess your bike fit.

Just out of interest do you do this statically, or do you get someone to try and get a snap shot of you as you ride by?

I'd be interested to post a pic of me on mine to see if I need to make any adjustments
  • joggingjohn
    edited January 2013
  • joggingjohn
    edited January 2013
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Any advice?

ask in the mountain bike forum?
  • joggingjohn
    edited January 2013
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    john
    it looks to me like you are trying to use the wrong tool for the job
    find a picture of a road cyclist on a bike and compare the differences in geometry
    perhaps chop in your mtb for a road bike

it really does make the world of difference having a proper road bike
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    f41mkx.jpg
    qxuzdi.jpg

Just to answer NITR8 - The front axel is under my bars when seated from my eye line.

Just looking at my position I do look uncomfortable (and feel it after 30-40 mins). Pain often in lower back and palms.

Any advice would be great.

What's under the black cover behind you?
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    BBQ I guess, From looking at your picture I would say that you should raise your seat slightly and flip your stem to slightly give you a longer reach.

However, ultimately you have the wrong tool for the job. You need to get your self a Road bike or at least a hybrid, Sorry.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    looks a bit small, back isn't straight.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    lots of cheap ways to find out

get a longer stem, raise ,lower handle bars

get a layback seat post.

give these a try and see how you get on.

Layback seat post won't help one bit, as there is only one "right" place for the saddle to be and extending it (all other things being equal) should get it into the right position, extending the seat post effectively makes the bike bigger (extends the seat tube).

If the top tube is too short, then a longer stem will help, but there is a limit as to how long the stem can be.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava