Am I good or bad?

CyclingObsession
CyclingObsession Posts: 314
edited August 2012 in Amateur race
I just joined my local club after solo riding for a year, I joined and have done two races the last two of the season. There has been 15 before these two, I am starting in first group beginners, I came 2nd unofficialy in the group as I dropped 3 guys on the hills and there was one I front of me, the race was 18 miles hilly race, my question is am I a good racer for first time club racing? I passed one or two of the top other groups but not many. The race was in a mountain area.

Comments

• Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    I just joined my local club after solo riding for a year, I joined and have done two races the last two of the season. There has been 15 before these two, I am starting in first group beginners, I came 2nd unofficialy in the group as I dropped 3 guys on the hills and there was one I front of me, the race was 18 miles hilly race, my question is am I a good racer for first time club racing? I passed one or two of the top other groups but not many. The race was in a mountain area.

With the limited information we have to go on, you could be anything between astonishingly good and astonishingly bad. There are no established performance standards for something as vague as "first time club racing".
    If you're after a pat on the back for having a go at racing, then ok, you have earned a pat on the back.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Which country? Was it TLI? In the mountains?

All you know is that in that particular race you were better than most people in your group.
    More problems but still living....
  • It was in Ireland, I dont want kudos or anything I just want to know if I am decent or not as I have no way of comparing as I have not done the previous races that they have done. It was in the mountains with 1200ft of elevation and average grade of about 5-6% maximum was 9% grade Hill
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Unofficially 2nd?, how does that work?, either you were second, or you weren't
  • Cycling OB.
    Let me ask you where in Ireland are you.
    Was it your own club only or a league with other clubs involved. if so how many.
    In my own club in the West we can Ride in the following which are run under a group handicap basis.
    a)The internal League = 5 races, open to all club members
    b)Covey Wheelers/ Westernlakes inter club league 15 races, Open to Club licence holders to A1s.
    c)Mayo League (think there were 8 races) open to all clubs, club licence upwards. We also had a County Championships
    d)There have also been 3 other races which have been run under inter club rules that were open to all.
    In the above races you would have rubbed shoulders with Olympians, Former Pro's, Atleast 2 Ras riders in all bar the internal league and many former junior and underage national finalists
    So working on racing here the big question is did the other groups catch and pass you.
    If not caught in
    (a) then you were under estimated by your clubmates and have been sandbagging on club spins (I pulled off this type of move after recovering from illness and beating the club handicapper)
    (b) Then you better work hard over the winter and see what happens next year when they move you up a group
    (c) then put in a good winter and get a A4 licence in 2013 and give it a go
    (d) then as for (c) and you will be A3 before you know it.
    Go neiri on bothar leat.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Good is relative. There are people better than you and people worse than you. You're almost definitely miles from your potential as a road racer whatever that might be. The only way to find out is to race next year. You can start by going in a harder group in those club races. If the group doesn't drop you, keep moving up until you're in a group that does. You won't get the lovely warm feeling of riding away from slow riders but you will get faster. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll only get slower and you'll watch other clubmates improve around you and leave you for dead. Good luck.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    You're literally the best rider I've ever seen.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    DavidJB wrote:
    You're literally the best rider I've ever seen.

oh you lie you never see crazy man :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Michael Jackson asked himself this very question, relayed his answer to the world by song then resorted to kiddie fiddling. Its a slippery slope, be careful.