How do i test ride a bike?

Ghost Rider 3000
Ghost Rider 3000 Posts: 22
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a new bike and have my eye set on a Voodoo Bantu or Hoodoo. There are 2 more bikes i'd like to try out as well. The problem is, do Halfords allow you to test the bikes out before you choose the bike you want? I've never seen anyone test a bike out on the car park before, does anyone know? The only places i know for shore that allow me to test ride bikes are propper bike shops. Unfortunately none of them have the bike i want to buy! The only bikes the shop has got are the new 2013 range by Merida & Specialized.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the store - though I think they may have introduced a policy due to some Euro silly safety directive.

I'd visit the shop with some ID and a credit card, and say that you must be able to have a short ride to get a feel for sizing. If they say no, just say you are off to a bike shop that will let you and take your money away.
  • I'll try that mate thanks, but i'm almost certain they'll say no! Halfords will probably say if i ride the bike outside it will be regarded as used, i'm just guessing. I had a look on ebay but i don't really trust ebay that much, you never know if your buying a stolen bike on there! I might check the bike shop out tomorrow and see what they have there. I'll see if it really is the Merida bike that you thought i should avoid, I like the Merida bike you suggested instead. I'll be asking about that one when i go there, unfortunately other than Halfords no one sells any Carrera or Voodoo bikes! Really annoyed about that! I really wanted to try that Voodoo Hoodoo out! I will try and twist the salesmans arm in Halfords to let me ride it first though, if this does not work i'll take my business elsewhere. I was going to buy a bike helmet, any suggestions on those ie full face helmet or the standard helmet?
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I'll try that mate thanks, but i'm almost certain they'll say no! Halfords will probably say if i ride the bike outside it will be regarded as used, i'm just guessing.

Why not go and ask them first before already deciding what their answer will be? :s

My LBS let me test ride any bike as long as it is dry outside.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Test riding a bike is pretty sound advice and you will always hear that on here.

But, in my opinion it is not always the be all and end all. In truth, inexperienced riders will not know if a bike 'fits' them or not from a 5 minute buzz round a car park. If you are new to the sport, or just moving from one style of bike to another, what may initially seem comfortable may in fact be totally wrong. As long as a bike is broadly the right size, you can make fine adjustments with stem length, bar width and moving saddle a bit once you get more used to it.

When I bought my first mtb bike I ultimately got one which I now think was a bit too big. It looked about right, felt fine when I rode it and I would never have thought it was too big from a spin round the car park. But for it's intended use, trails etc, I was never totally happy with it.

My road bike felt really weird when I first rode it, and left to my own devices I would probably have got a smaller one after my first few rides (or a long test ride if you like). Coming from a mtb, the stretched out position felt wrong. But the truth is, it fits me perfectly, and I have the salesman to thank for that not a test ride which would have given me the wrong answer.

So to some extent, unless you really know your stuff, I think you are in the hands of the sales staff and your own prior research.

I certainly wouldn't let the fact that I could ride a Hoodoo round the car park for 5 mins, from which you wont learn really learn anything more than sitting on it in the shop anyway, put me off buying a pretty decent bike.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    My LBS has also offered a returns policy which covers a few days testing. So you can buy the bike (pay full amount) take it away for a weekend or a week and if it is disastrous, take it back (mud, dings and all) for a full refund.

Not sure if this is still available though.

Alternatively, look up local demo days. Usually held at trail centres so you can sample a load of bikes in their natural habitat without paying a penny.