Cleaning a Camelbak

fergo
fergo Posts: 56
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hi

Camelbak bladder needs a clean, ive seen the cleaning 'camelbak' tablets on CRC, wondered if anyone has any tips on how they clean there bladders (sounds weird that!)

Cheers

Comments

• angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Milton baby sterilising stuff will do the job. Dare say it'll be cheaper too.
  • Yup, Milton for me too!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Mine always gets frozen after a ride but Milton is good for cleaning it out, especially if you've had something other than water to get rid of the taste.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nothing goes in mine except water, then in the freezer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mine's been sitting for nearly two years, although I did clean and dry it out after its last use. Does anyone dare me to give it a rinse and use it again or should I just bin it?
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • +1 for the Milton. Works well for me.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Rinse out with hot water remembering to flush loads of water through the tube then dry inside and out with a tea towel.

Try to avoid using it for sugary drinks like squash and never put milk in it :D
    "Didn't hurt"
  • keppy
    keppy Posts: 10
    Simplest i've found is to rinse out immediately after use with water, then put straight into the freezer. Every half a dozen uses i also wash it up like anything else, then rinse out the Fairy bubbles with cold water before sticking into the freezer. Hate the taste of Milton...
  • Another vote for milton.
  • mikeyj28
    mikeyj28 Posts: 754
    Yep another vote for Milton
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    I'm crap at this, I use mine in the alps then it hangs in the garage for a year, I find it mouldy a year later, thow it away and buy a new one. Done this about 5 times now
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I have a source one so its easy to scrub out and dry, but I read somewhere cheap denture cleaning tablets work a treat on them, never tried it so can anyone confirm and or deny this rumour?
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Tick.
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Gazlar wrote:
    I have a source one so its easy to scrub out and dry, but I read somewhere cheap denture cleaning tablets work a treat on them, never tried it so can anyone confirm and or deny this rumour?

I've used denture tabs for years. Use every two or three rides, rinse out well then straight into freezer. Could use un-perfumed household bleach then rinse out and freeze.

If you use flavoured drinks the taste never goes away completely. Not a problem for me. If you want water only, then get a second bladder.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • BigBazz
    BigBazz Posts: 24
    I haven't used mine for a few years, was going to buy a new one. The bladder itself isnt too bad because its easy to clean, its the tubes that get nasty and are hard to clean, and I'm thinking it might be a bit too far gone ^^.

Never thought about putting it in the freezer though, definitely an idea I will be taking on for the future.
    2007 Giant XTC
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Gazlar wrote:
    I have teeth but you could borrow some off Sheeps mum next time you go spend a fiver in Rhyl.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Milton tablets, simples.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I use the milton fluid, and soak the mouthpiece in neat milton if it's been left for a while.
    I have 3 camelbaks, so generally, two of them are always in a hell of a state.
  • fat_homer
    fat_homer Posts: 470
    I use own brand baby bottle steriliser, much cheaper then Milton.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Really? A big bottle of Milton must have cost about a fiver, but it's lasted me 4 years or so, since it's hardly ever used anyway.
  • I just chuck mine in the freezer but am considering getting a tube brush so i can give it a proper clean once in a while - good intentions and all...
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/xtre ... aid:143231
  • YeehaaMcgee
    It's worth pointing out, I suppose, that most modern camelbaks have a surprisingly effective antibacterial bladder.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Rinse out after use with hot soapy water,rinse with hot water,hang some where to dry positioned so it stays open,i clip some pegs inside, when completely dry stuff a bit of kitchen roll inside to absorb any moisture.
    Every now an then soak in a water with a bit of bleach.
    No potions to buy,dont have to make space for it in the freezer,no after taste,never had any issues with mould.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    But your bleach does exactly the same job as Milton, albeit slightly more dangerous.
  • fergo
    fergo Posts: 56
    Thanks for the advice, Camelbak cleaned with Milton and kept in the freezer!
  • boris113
    boris113 Posts: 47
    I couldn't find any Milton last week, but used some denture tablets...think they may be called sterident? Left them sitting in it for about 15mins and it totally removed the green stuff from the bladder and hose (not been used for 2 years). It's worth buying a set of cleaning brushes to scrub inside the hose -I got mine on offer from Halfrauds.