Looking to buy my first road bike...

MattyyP
MattyyP Posts: 142
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys!

Just looking for some advice on what to look for! I've been riding off road on full sus bikes for about 5 years now, starting when I was 14! Lol! Decided i'm looking for something that is a little less dirty for weeknights!

Anyway, i'm looking to spend less than £300 at first really, as i'm not sure how long i'm going to stick at it for... Was just wondering if anybody had any examples of good road bikes between the £200-300 range! I've seen one that is £189... I can't help thinking this is too good to be true...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEMAN-Mens-Ra ... 4aba092000

I'm pretty confident that the Shimano components will be good enough for me for now, however i'm not sure about the brakes and wheels on it... As they are a lot different to anything I have experience with!

Anyway any advice and help will be kindly recieved!

MattyP!
Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
B'Twin Rockrider 9.1

Comments

• Mickyg88
    Mickyg88 Posts: 289
    I wouldn't touch it matey, says its shipped from London but look at the description, whoever is selling it can't speak/write in English, appears to be someone selling a no name bike made in Indonesia or similar, keep well away.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Better at that price range to look for something 2nd hand. Getting the right size is the most important thing mind, so try plenty of bikes out if you can. The most important measurement is "Effective Top Tube" length.
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    You could look at the Triban 3 at Decathlon - really as low in price (£300) as you really want to go for a new bike. I'm sure that there are plenty of people on here who have experience of these.
  • Normally I'd be sceptical of any new bike in that price range, but this Raleigh looks OK.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-RALEIGH- ... 58948a8979

It's not a bike for life (no alloy bike is), but the spec is great for a beginner. Decent components all round, reasonably relaxed geometry...

Despite the fact that I posted an eBay link however, I'd recommend you try out whatever you buy. Do your research though; from some reports I've read some cheap bikes can come with rubbish wheels and such; transmissions aren't something to worry so much about. You may well find yourself wanting to replace the stock tyres as well.
  • MattyyP
    I did think it looked a little too good to be true! Haha, glad I asked on here first now!

Just had a look at the Triban 3, and looks a decent bike to me! I have had a bike from Decathlon before and generally find they are pretty good aftersale too! But not sure I like the colour scheme, but can I really be picky when I want to get one for peanuts? I don't know haha!

Just checked that Raleigh out, really REALLY like the look of it! I did think wheels would be something to look out for particularly on a road bike... Will probably do some research in getting a set of wheels that are decent seperate to the bike! Although I did say my budget was £200-300 I can really afford more so I am pretty flexible! I just don't want to pour too much money at first into it, even though i'm pretty sure i'll enjoy it haha! What sort of tyre would you recommend for general use on the road? Would it be classed as a semi-slick or am I missing something?
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    I was in a similar position to you. I've got my full sus MTB but wanted a road boke . I got the triban 3 its incredible. The biggest advantage over be Raleigh is a carbon fork. There is a review of it in cycling active (I think) which loved it. Its also got a triple and as a MTB convert that has proved useful for me anyway!
  • snowjho wrote:
    I was in a similar position to you. I've got my full sus MTB but wanted a road boke . I got the triban 3 its incredible. The biggest advantage over be Raleigh is a carbon fork. There is a review of it in cycling active (I think) which loved it. Its also got a triple and as a MTB convert that has proved useful for me anyway!

They more than loved it, they were shocked by just how good it was given it's price tag! The reviewer even bought it, yep, he bought the test bike!! :)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • MattyyP
    snowjho wrote:

May have to look into getting a test ride on one then!! :)

Just found this on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERB-56cm-C ... 1c29e1af68

Good or not? I know it looks good! :lol:

Found a lot of nice looking, good condition second hand ones on ebay!! Will probably only buy if I can see it in person first though!
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    depends if you want to pay £40 more than new price for a second hand bike

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/criterium-road-bike-p181094
  • MattyyP
    depends if you want to pay £40 more than new price for a second hand bike

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/criterium-road-bike-p181094

Well i'm glad you pointed that out haha! It looks like an expensive bike to me, maybe it's the colour scheme! Just read the review on it, looks pretty decent!
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • snowjho
    snowjho Posts: 108
    Compared to the triban 3 its got inferior shimano groupset and doesnt have a carbon fork. It is certainly less subtle in the looks category though! For a brand new bike at £300 I'm not sure anything can beat the triban 3. I suspect it will keep my road biking appetite in check for a good while. Its a cheap fun alternative to loading the full sus in the car and heading off somewhere.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    I have one of these and I can highly recommend it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viking-DItalia- ... B004Q5Q4XM

Mine:

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12869236

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • hardyp
    hardyp Posts: 86
    edited August 2012
    Sorry to hijack a thread but in exactly the same boat (must be the olypmic bug). Was thinking of getting the triban 3 but red is not a colour I like too much. Just wondering if its worth spending the extra £200 on the following bike http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34631/Hal ... -Bike.html. Know abit about mtb bike components but know nothing about road bike ones. Is the original £1000 rrp price over inflated.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    hardyp wrote:
    Sorry to hijack a thread but in exactly the same boat (must be the olypmic bug). Was thinking of getting the tribal 3 but red is not a colour I like too much. Just wondering if its worth spending the extra £200 on the following bike http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34631/Hal ... -Bike.html. Know abit about mtb bike components but know nothing about road bike ones. Is the original £1000 rrp price over inflated.

I've never heard of that company, but the components don't look too bad (Tiagra isn't completely bottom of the range). I would recommend getting a decent second-hand bike for that price. A friend of mine got a Giant Defy 2 a few weeks ago for £300.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • hardyp wrote:
    Sorry to hijack a thread but in exactly the same boat (must be the olypmic bug). Was thinking of getting the triban 3 but red is not a colour I like too much. Just wondering if its worth spending the extra £200 on the following bike http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34631/Hal ... -Bike.html. Know abit about mtb bike components but know nothing about road bike ones. Is the original £1000 rrp price over inflated.

That's a very shiny bike for a beginner!

Don't worry about components too much, apart from the brakes (being able to stop is handy). Some people would have you think that you must spend about 250% more than you actually do; don't listen to them. Tiagra is fine. Sora is fine too. Most people around here would be fine on £50 plain gauge steel old bangers from eBay, provided that they were properly maintained and mechanically sound road bikes.

The premium in road cycling is in weight first and foremost. I would buy Tiagra because the shifters are apparently better, and for the 10 rather than 9 speed cassette, before I bought it for its superior performance. My favourite bike has 30 year old Shimano 600 (5 speed freewheel) on it and it works beautifully. The bicycle transmission is an extremely basic system that has barely changed in decades. If you make a derailleur that doesn't shift gears, perhaps engineering isn't for you. What makes it work well is proper maintenance. :)