What should I replace my Hardrock Sport Disc with?

laxxmi
laxxmi Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, it's the same old question I'm afraid, what bike should I get for around £500.

I was the proud owner of a 2011 Sport Disc, the one with red rims. 'Was' because it was stolen on Saturday and I am gutted, not least because I really had begun to use it since I was made redundant, cycling 10-20 miles every day on the South Downs.

So I'm going to scrape the last of my meagre funds together and replace it asap.

Having spent all day yesterday browsing forums and sites like bikeradar, and gathering 1000's of different opinions, I would like to say that I have come to a clear decision.....but I havent! In fact, I'm even more confused so I'm hoping some more expert opinions may swing it one way or tother.

It started out as a toss up between a basic Hardrock (I love the detailing on Speshses), a Vulcan (based on the 5* review here) and a Buntu. Then I though, feck it, spend a little bit more so basically the choice is now....

Carerra Kraken (good spec but put off my Halfords)
Voodoo Hoodoo (as above)
Rockrider (this would be my first choice as it seems THE sub £500 bike to buy but I live in Brighton....nearest Decathalon is in London!)
EBC Revolution (Looks like a good combo of build quality and spec and £50 under budget)

then just to confuse the issue further, I've found a 2012 Rockhopper for £550 with a voucher which would effectively make it £500. I do love Specialized and this would certainly be the one I would choose to look at/be seen on.

So, opinions gratefully received. Basically, I like to climb, almost all my rides start by climbing Devils Dyke outside Brighton, 600 ft,then I either tear down the track, or head across the Downs on mudtracks, bridlepaths, or on or around the South Downs Way. So, singletrack and forest trails rather than pure DH stuff, I want to be riding all through the winter, possibly in muddy conditions, and I'm looking to extending rides to 3-4 hours (that length of ride was getting quite sore on hands and wrists on the spesh). I'm 5'8, 10 st 12 and don't want to start upgrading anything, not for a year or two anyway.

What would you recommend I buy?

Comments