Is cycling a bit too tribal?

antybrow
antybrow Posts: 10
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
I'm looking at buying my first roadbike and am flummoxed by all the recommendations. I know it comes down to what feels best for me as a rider - and that will be my first criteria in choosing a bike. But, there appear so many different bikes to look at and I can't test ride them all.

So my first question is does it matter what brand you go for if you choose a particular price point? Are people tribal and go for their favourite brands / criticise their least favourite? Completely understandable if that is the case, it is with cars and other such purchases.

My second question is, if you were a porky middle aged bloke keen to get on a road bike and spend say c£800 on a bike, what would you go for? Tribal, or otherwise.

Comments

• haha it doesnt matter at all. In an ideal world we'd all like to have bike fits and get the best suited to our shape - in reality we tend to get the bike we can afford - at least when starting out - and then spend ages tinkering and tweaking till it suits us. It's not really tribal based around bike makes, more that some riders have had better experinece with one make than another.

It matters not a jot what bike you get, as long as you're happy. One guy at our club goes out on a mountain bike and did a club run of over a hundred miles at just over 4 hours.

Hard to recommend a bike without knowing your budget.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522

Hard to recommend a bike without knowing your budget.

£800 :?:
  • It matters not a jot what bike you get, as long as you're happy. One guy at our club goes out on a mountain bike and did a club run of over a hundred miles at just over 4 hours.

There's a bad smell of Bullsh!t coming from here!
  • At the end of the day you shouldn't give a toss what others say just go for what you like, can afford and feels good to you mate, no one else will be riding the bike but you, just make sure you ride her hard and fast....
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    only in the jungle
  • I've got the 2009 model of this bike....
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011

I ride average 150-200miles a week (check strava if you don't believe me), I ride average speed around 17-20mph (depending on ride length)..... Brilliant road bike for a first timer, it's strictly a CX bike, but you won't notice the difference other than it's a lot more comfy than a road bike.... Buy some road tyre's and you're sorted.

I ride a lot faster than friends of mine on full carbon road bikes worth upward of £2000, it's not about the bike, it's about fitness and putting in the miles come wind rain or shine.... Speaking of which it's pouring down outside and it's time for my commute home!!!!
  • antybrow
    antybrow Posts: 10
    Cheers for those responses. That is somewhat heartening to hear. Off to the LBS it is - lucky because that means Shorter Rochford - and will take their advice on the matter as well. To confirm a question from the top, yes budget is £800.

The one's I've been looking at are
    Specialized Allez
    Specialized Secteur
    Bianchi Via Narone 7
    Focus (can't remember the model)
    Cube (ditto)

They're all Sora or Tiagra groupsets, but been looking at 2013 models for the new Sora, I understand 2012 thumbshift was a pain.

Any further thoughts on this, gratefully received.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    I've got the 2009 model of this bike....
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011

I ride average 150-200miles a week (check strava if you don't believe me), I ride average speed around 17-20mph (depending on ride length)..... Brilliant road bike for a first timer, it's strictly a CX bike, but you won't notice the difference other than it's a lot more comfy than a road bike.... Buy some road tyre's and you're sorted.

I ride a lot faster than friends of mine on full carbon road bikes worth upward of £2000, it's not about the bike, it's about fitness and putting in the miles come wind rain or shine.... Speaking of which it's pouring down outside and it's time for my commute home!!!!

Totally agree about the CX bike. Most of road bikes don't make sense mainly due to the pointlessly limited tyre/mudguards clearance. Also agree that 95% is the legs :)
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    Cube Peleton offers great value for your budget with quality wheelset and groupset for the money.

Mekk also good vfm for first road bike.

Specialized Allez, Trek 1 series, Bianchi Via Nirone, Boardman Team, Giant Defy... All good bikes. As you note it's all about researching what you get for your money, draw up a shortlist then try for feel and fit to see what is best for you. Never had one but my friend has the Cube Peloton with Easton Wheels and 2012 Shimano Tiagra and is delighted with it. Looks good, is reasonably light and if I was spending up to £800 on a road bike then this is what I'd probably go for.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    when you can walk on the rice paper without leaving a mark THEN you are ready for a carbon bike grasshopper
    http://youtu.be/J5kBqrHphjo 8)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I definitely am I'm afraid. I find I can't buy anything with either the Trek or Specialized name on it. Shame as they do seem to be good value on the most part, but I just don't like to follow the crowd, there are so many other choices available. I've never owned anything by Nike either on the same basis.
    Coming back to bikes.. the Cube's look great value as does the Focus! Good Luck
  • "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    was just going to say - at that budget I'd be getting a boardman comp. £729 at the moment and IMO better than those listed above. Unfortunately my budget wasn't high enough to get one!
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    My opinion is that you dont seem to get great spec for your money these days with specialized, just look at the year on year downgrading of components, not good.
    The Bianchi's look smart but you do pay for the name also.
    Cube bikes look good and are reasonably good value, strong frames too.
    Not sure about Focus not been on one.
    I've got a boardman team and it does have good spec for the cash, some cycling folk will look down on it as its sold by Halfords but once they see the welds/frame/spec and me pissing past them on, tend to change their minds. they do tend to have a fairly aggresive frame though, so maybe a no no if your just a leisurely rider.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    antybrow wrote:
    Budget is £800.

The one's I've been looking at are
    Specialized Allez
    Specialized Secteur
    Bianchi Via Narone 7
    Focus (can't remember the model)
    Cube (ditto)

You can't go far wrong with any of those. Personally I'd go Cube but only because I like the graphics and there don't seem to be that many around compared to Boardman, Focus and Specialized (you would be better buying baed on fit though...).

Boardman probably offer slightly better value but at the risk of potentially having been built by an idiot at Halfords (some are great, some are fine, a few...). I know Boardman spent a lot of time working with Halfords to up the expertise of their mechanics and I'm sure most of the poor builds were in their first year so I can't say if the risk is big.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    I definitely am I'm afraid. I find I can't buy anything with either the Trek or Specialized name on it. Shame as they do seem to be good value on the most part, but I just don't like to follow the crowd, there are so many other choices available. I've never owned anything by Nike either on the same basis.
    I am real glad there are so many like you with the attitude as it means I rarely see another SL4 when I am out on mine
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    BruceG wrote:
    I am real glad there are so many like you with the attitude as it means I rarely see another SL4 when I am out on mine

Ditto. I rarely see any Trek Madones and certainly have not seen any 5 series. So not quite as following the crowd as you might think. That said I'd happily recommend the Madone as it is a great bike and welcome seeing others on them as it would clearly show they have great taste too :D
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I'll add Tifosi if you have a dealer near you to try one out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    nbuuifx wrote:
    was just going to say - at that budget I'd be getting a boardman comp. £729 at the moment and IMO better than those listed above. Unfortunately my budget wasn't high enough to get one!

If you use Quidco (www.quidco.com) you can register your credit cards with Halfords to get another 4.5% off, that brings the price down to £696
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Just get one from Decathlon. Carbon fork + Shimano Sora and it is £499.99

You're probably getting an £800 bike there anyway, for £500.

Look at other shops with bikes that have carbon forks and Shimano Sora groupsets.

I doubt they even sell their ex display ones for £500.

Beware of flashy rear mechs as well (where they slap a nice 105/Ultegra rear mech on it but the rest of the bike leaves a lot to be desired).

If I told you where to go I would have to say Decathlon, but I have a store 3 miles away, most don't.
    If I told you where to never go - Halford's. Unless you get a Boardman, which seem good/light/worth it.

You could even just get the £300 one Decathlon sells, I did. :D

They don't sell a £800 bike except a Cyclocross bike, if you want one. WTH IS CYCLOCROSS!!! (jk) :)
  • If you want a good road bike for £800, forget all the bikes' you shortlisted, this is the bike for you.... If you want exclusivity, you won't see another on the road because you never see Canyons in the UK.

Shimano 105, mavic wheels & ritchley finishing kit for under £800, unbeatable value..... Total bike weight 8.15kg, more than light enough for a first bike.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2502
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    If you want a good road bike for £800, forget all the bikes' you shortlisted, this is the bike for you.... If you want exclusivity, you won't see another on the road because you never see Canyons in the UK.

Shimano 105, mavic wheels & ritchley finishing kit for under £800, unbeatable value..... Total bike weight 8.15kg, more than light enough for a first bike.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2502

Gotta say that is one hell of a setup and lightweight for the price!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    S'only tribal if you want it to be.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Oh and Canyons are outstanding.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Us Raleigh riders aren't at all tribal, but those Trekkies...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    It matters not a jot what bike you get, as long as you're happy. One guy at our club goes out on a mountain bike and did a club run of over a hundred miles at just over 4 hours.

There's a bad smell of Bullsh!t coming from here!

What you mean you can't do 25MPH average over 100 miles on a MTB? weak. :twisted: