POST OLYMPIC SALES for newbe

Rulebritania
Rulebritania Posts: 209
edited August 2012 in Road general
Hello,
I am going to start cycling as a form of fitness. I am going to start with a bike on a budget of no more than £400. As of the 10th I will have the money in the bank. But should I wait to see if I can bag a bargain WILL their be a sale post olympics?
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Comments

• 'Ello!

There's bound to be some kind of 'fallout' following Wiggo's triumph (and hopefully more success from the track) post olympics, but I can't say that for sure.

However, over the next month or two the 2013 models for all the manufacturers will start to appear in the bike shops, this means that there are usually some cracking deals on the current years models (obviously 2012 this time) as the retailers need to clear their stock to make way for the new stuff!

If you can hang on for another 2 or 3 weeks you should start to see some hoofin' discounts off this years models, and you should be able to get a much better quality frame/spec for your budget!! Don't forget, you'll be able to 'haggle' a fair bit with most retailers over the package you want for the same reasons.
    Make sure that the shop throws in things like pedals, shoes, shorts, jersey, glasses, drinks cage and bottle, all as part of the 'package'!!!! It's a buyers market at this time of the year, so don't be shy and take them for as much as you can get!!!

Good luck!
    Scott CR1 Pro (Build in progress!!)
    Giant Defy 3
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, distributors and shops start discounting 2012 stock toward the end of August to clear space for incoming 2013 models. Deals available depend on popularity of models and sizes - don't expect top deals on top-sellers, they've likely sold out. 10% of the value of the bike in free accessories is the norm - don't expect 100 quid's worth of free kit with a £400 bike, particularly if it's already been discounted.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..