Olympic MTB racing

2»

Comments

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    XC races are VERY demanding... a couple of mates, fit guys - they do triathalons and finish respectably, decided to do one of the 'flatter' races at Thetford, they were blowing out of their ar5es after an hour, they both said it was one of the toughest things they had ever done...
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    It can be challenging at that sort of speed, though I'd like to see more technical climbs.

Just worked out the start of my local loop - out of my front door the first climb is 800ft in 2.5 miles!
    There's a climb (the one I want to test brakes on with that dude who has an IR gun) that rises very very nearly 80meters in roughly 250 meters. It's just insane.

Hmm, trying to figure it out (contour lines are just a blur), and I don;t think it's even 200meters in length, and could be anything form 80 to 100 meters of altitude change. Truly ridicilous - a leftover piece of bonkersness from when a new bypass was built.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    So that's just under 1:3?

There's a climb near me that's steeper than that, but shorter, and not on the road!
    though I'd like to see more technical climbs.

Climbs are for overtaking though innit, otherwise it risks just being a bit of a procession.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    njee20 wrote:
    So that's just under 1:3?

There's a climb near me that's steeper than that, but shorter, and not on the road!
    There's steeper climbs offroad here too, no doubt. But this road is bazonkers. It's kind of hard to explain, it climbs gradually, then goes near vertical, then eases off for the last few meters. The overall is about 1:3, but the steep bit is something altogether, "else".
    There's two hairpins, and the inner side of the "curve" - near the apex, looks like a tarmac bank. I've seen cars fail to get up it, and climbing it on a bike invariably results in constant wheel-slip due to the permamently wet surface.
    Oh, and if you stop... you're going downhill, and there's nothing you can do about it :lol:
  • njee20
    Sounds nicely mental! There's a little concrete test track at Brooklands which rises to just over 1:3, apparently was used to test brakes back in the day, certainly just looks like a wall!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Still certain there will be many getting off and running up/down the technical bits anyway.

Whatever the case, the road stuff has been quite interesting and I'm more interested in the BMX stuff even though it never used to interest me. Looks like a cracking course. Cyclocrossing (sorry XC ;) ) in Essex... nah.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well, considering I was a cynic in general, but have been hooked in completely - I probably will try and watch the XC as well. There's no doubting that it's still going to be an impressive feat of speed and fitness, whether or not we agree on the technicality of the course.
  • njee20
    Still certain there will be many getting off and running up/down the technical bits anyway.

Maybe some of the 'also rans', although there's not many of those in a field of 50, but not a cat in hell's chance in the front 50% or so, they'd all make you look rather silly!
    I probably will try and watch the XC as well. There's no doubting that it's still going to be an impressive feat of speed and fitness, whether or not we agree on the technicality of the course.
    I'm interested to watch it, I've never really sat and watched an XC race, so intrigued to see what it's like!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Well, considering I was a cynic in general, but have been hooked in completely - I probably will try and watch the XC as well. There's no doubting that it's still going to be an impressive feat of speed and fitness, whether or not we agree on the technicality of the course.[/quote]

Exactly, Its still a race, its the sam course fr everyone and it can still punish you if you make a mistake. catch an edge pushing it through one of those rock gardens and it could be game over

I'm also looking forward to seeing Bails nan in here lycra ;)
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Catch an edge? They're doing it on snowboards?
    Holy hell, in that case I take back the "not technical" comment, that's going to nightmarishly difficult.
  • njee20
    It'll keep the speeds down though, makes that 4000ft of climbing a real test!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    :lol: - I can imagine! Like doing star jumps up a hill with your feet stuck together!
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    You misunderstand, because its a race in silly multicoloured clothing they have to have a hate like dog racing, the hare is the Edge from u2 and if they catch him he'll be all feck and bejesus and begorrah and flailing his arms about and playing power chords, so there's a good chance they may be struck from their bike.

I meant if you catch the edge of a rock just wrong, as we've all found out at some point, too can have soils at the most stupid of times when you take your eye off your own ball
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • njee20
    :lol:

Getting this wrong will hurt, can't be rolled apparently:

olymoicmtb2011a.jpg