Complanies charging for lockers

ToeKnee
ToeKnee Posts: 376
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I am fortunate in that I have good secure bicycle parking and showers provided by my employer.
They now wish to charge a monthly fee of £10 for a locker - that's just for a locker; I can still use the fcilities.
I was wondered if this was the norm and what other companies do?
Seneca wrote:
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Ours are free. Bit of a wait to get one, but free.

Makes sense though, I get the feeling the majority of lockers that are 'taken' are not being used.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Used to pay £5 per month taken directly from gross salary. Small price to pay, being able to leave toiletries, shoes, etc., at work.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    pangolin wrote:
    I get the feeling the majority of lockers that are 'taken' are not being used.

Yeah...

At a previous employer, there were bike lockers which were oversubscribed. I had a colleague with a key, and in the first 6 months of me being there, he didn't cycle in once. One time I decided to have a look in the lockers (a bit of a gap underneath); out of about 30 lockers, fewer than half had bikes in, and one looked like it was being used as a shed or for general storage.

I'd have been willing to pay a fee if it meant discouraging non-use. (Different from a small gear locker, I accept.)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    pangolin wrote:
    Ours are free. Bit of a wait to get one, but free.

Makes sense though, I get the feeling the majority of lockers that are 'taken' are not being used.

This,

I have been waiting for a locker in my office for 10 months and i'm still away down the list - i reckon at least 50% of the 100 or so lockers are rarely if ever used by their owners, I for one would be happy to pay a nominal fee to ensure that I got one.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Where I work we have to pay a nominal fee for lockers. Before I had one kept stuff in my drawer. Lots of people just leave bags/crap on top of the lockers though.

Indoor parking for bikes is free, but you lose it if you don't user it frequently enough. Outdoor parking is run on a similar principle.

Understandably annoying if it goes from free to costing though.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5