Commencal Meta SX vs Santa Cruz Nomad vs Lapierre Spicy

smile4luv
smile4luv Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello

I want to buy a potent full suspension bike that would climb well and descent even better (as I like downhill more).
I was thinking about the above three models and my budget would be up to £3000- £3500.

I want a bike with 160 mm travel as I intend to use it abroad as well (have big mountains in the country I am originally from and I`d like to take it on some freeride spins there :D).

So, I was thinking about these bikes, in the order of my personal preferences:
1. Commencal meta SX - read very positive reviews, I understand it`s very nice on descents
2. Lapierre Spicy (516/916) - good rounder, 916 is very light as well - 12.2 kg only!
3. Santa Cruz Nomad - read very many positive reviews by users

I think another option would also be an orange Alpine 160, but the problem is that I really HATE the way it looks!

I am quite new to mountain biking, I currently have a Specialized Rockhopper that I bought it as a second hand bike, but I find it quite poor for all mountain and quite hard on your back.

I read a lot about bikes lately, but I still don`t understand all the technical terms and differences between different models (for example between the different nomad versions).

I would really appreciate your advice and I will take it into account before making any decision, especially that it involves lots of money. Advice regarding the weights for the above bikes would also be useful, as I couldn`t find much details online (except for Lapierre bikes).

Thank you,
Alex

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lappierre will be the lightest but also the most likely to snap. I would go for the Nomad, great bike.
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    i love the commencal, that frame is so nice.

There all great bikes, try them out and see which you prefer.
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    +1 for Nomad.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Canyon strive

For your budget you can get the top model which is 12.95kg despite an alu frame.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2573
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    leaflite wrote:
    Canyon strive

For your budget you can get the top model which is 12.95kg despite an alu frame.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2573
    This
    Having owned a Spicy, Zesty and a Strive you just can't ignore the value for money. A 516 is quite under specced by comparison and the Strive rides at least as well IMO
  • sofaboy73
    sofaboy73 Posts: 574
    not tried the meta but tried the spicy 916 and it was good point and shoot fun downhill but didn't like the handling elsewhere. ended up buying a carbon nomad which is quite simply the best bike i've ever ridden. doesn't feel like a 160 bike when you ride it as you can throw it around like a trail bike. infact it's just a very big trail bike. made of carbon. and awesomeness. and smiles
  • Thanks guys!

Has anyone tried the Commencal? I`ve seen positive reviews on bike radar, I was wondring if you had a chance to try it.

I didn`t think about Canyon till now, but canyon Strive seems a good bike. It`s a shame I can`t find much about Canyon...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    smile4luv wrote:
    It`s a shame I can`t find much about Canyon...
    Haven't looked very far. How about 40 gazillion pages of Canyons
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I know nothing about any of the bikes in terms of riding however I see Nomads regularly being ridden in the bike park here in BC suggesting they are definitely built for the DH/FR

I rode the lift with a guy who had one - running it with air shock and forks, 1x10 gearing and said he rode it on all day rides in the mountains, freeride and downhill and felt it was a true do it all bike without needing heavier forks or a coil shock.

I watched him ride off and he definitely wasnt holding back.

Canyons and the Meta SX are not common in BC mind you so maybe if they were there would be as many of them. But I doubt it :wink:
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I looked on Canyon website and I saw Canyon Torque - http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2576, which I understand is more like a freeride bike.

Weight aside (weights a decent 15 kg for 180 mm full suspension) do you think I can use it for everyday rides? I think it would give me more flexibility if I want to tackle higher grounds, but I was not sure how it will affect it`s behavior on normal everyday/ cross-country rides.

Cheers!
  • hey, Smile4luv i've got the 2012 Meta SX and never ever been happier! It descends amazingly well and certainly flatters me. Have ridden it at several UK trail centres on re/black runs (only got it 3 months ago) and its never let me down.

It is incredibly confidence inspiring and ive noticed its allowed me to push my riding already, jumping bigger and climbing for longer than before. I rode the Alpine 160 and the Spicy 516 before buying this, in my opinion the Meta SX is far better. The spec it comes with is fantastic too! only think im actually gonna change on it is fitting a 2x10 chainguide and a renthal fatbar, other than that i think its perfect for UK All Mountain stuff. It climbs really well and descends even better!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Well no-one has mentioned the specialized enduro so I will. It's not the most popular enduro bike for privateers for no reason. There's an article on pinkbike about them:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Beginners- ... -2012.html
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    smile4luv wrote:
    I looked on Canyon website and I saw Canyon Torque - http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=2576, which I understand is more like a freeride bike.

Weight aside (weights a decent 15 kg for 180 mm full suspension) do you think I can use it for everyday rides? I think it would give me more flexibility if I want to tackle higher grounds, but I was not sure how it will affect it`s behavior on normal everyday/ cross-country rides.

Cheers!
    a couple of guys here viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12795517&hilit=torque here viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12857282&hilit=torque and here viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12867287&hilit=torque that maybe able to help
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • In the end I decided that I will chose between Commencal Meta SX and Canyon Torque.

CommyAdam, did you ride the Torque? As you already have the Commencal, I thought It would be nice if you`d give me your subjective experience with both bikes... :)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    smile4luv wrote:
    In the end I decided that I will chose between Commencal Meta SX and Canyon Torque.

CommyAdam, did you ride the Torque? As you already have the Commencal, I thought It would be nice if you`d give me your subjective experience with both bikes... :)

Isnt the strive more comparable with the meta sx though?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Yeah apples and pears there.

I have a big hit which is 180 travel (albeit not designed for uphill use) and its a handfull to get moving upwards. An air shock and dual ring will help on the Canyon for sure but I think you will be limiting your riding rather than supplementing especially in the UK. Unless you are planning on many uplift days I can see you looking for another bike pretty soon.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cwmboyo
    cwmboyo Posts: 114
    i have nomad mk2 and i have to say its a breath of fresh air since i sold my cube fritzz. lappys and comms are nice bikes but you CANNOT compare them to a nomad its like comparing a mondeo to a aston martin.
    why walk when u can ride!!

Cube Fritzz 2010
    Norco DH 2008
    Santa Cruz Nomad Mk 2
    Trek SL 1200
    Cube Peleton