Bike melt in conservatory?

vicky257
vicky257 Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in Road general
Just wondering would my husband's bike melt if we kept it in the conservatory? or cause any damage? thanks

Comments

• oh it's carbon fiber
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    The heat might age tyres, brake hoods and saddle faster, while the portion of UV light that escapes the glass might over time damage the laquer.
    Let's say that if it is a very expensive bike, you can find a better place for it... at least over summer
    left the forum March 2023
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    vicky257 wrote:
    Just wondering would my husband's bike melt if we kept it in the conservatory? or cause any damage? thanks

Will it be visible to any passing tea leaves? Mine stays in the living room.
  • OK...will need to get some brackets then! Currently kept in spare bedroom but that will soon be becoming a nursery so is getting evicted! Brackets in dining room I think! thanks!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can I be the first to say that you're obviously a very understanding lady :D

My bike has to live in the garage. If my wife found it on the wall in the dining room, I'd be soon living in the garage too.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I've had UV cause some yellowing on white painted parts of one bike but (perishing rubber aside) I doubt it would cause real damage.

Got to agree with Ugo though, it would be better in the shade somewhere.
  • vicky257 wrote:
    OK...will need to get some brackets then! Currently kept in spare bedroom but that will soon be becoming a nursery so is getting evicted! Brackets in dining room I think! thanks!

Congratulations ! Baby, that is exciting !

Good work letting hubby keep the bike indoors also.

Al
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • Thanks, I was hoping it was a phase that would shortly fizzle out but nope...he is currently cycling from John O''Groats to lands End! Everything else in the house is my way so better let have him one thing!! x
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    keef66 wrote:
    Can I be the first to say that you're obviously a very understanding lady :D

My bike has to live in the garage. If my wife found it on the wall in the dining room, I'd be soon living in the garage too.
    ditto - except for the word "living"..... "dead" might be more accurate
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I always new there was a use for Conservatories...
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    I always new there was a use for Conservatories...
    Simulated hot-weather training?
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • vicky257 wrote:
    Brackets in dining room I think! thanks!

Well done on this... You are obviously a very understanding wife... My bike is only allowed in the house when I am wheeling it through, before heading out on a ride... and I get moaned at for that even... :(

Garage it is for me still...
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    In the conservatory with a blanket. Stops any sun and keeps it warm at night!
  • Would that stop any damage? Our conservatory does get quite hot...was thinking if we open the windows on a really hot day..but a blanket is a good idea!

if we had a garage it would be out there-unfortunately only a shed! x
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    vicky257 wrote:
    Thanks, I was hoping it was a phase that would shortly fizzle out but nope...he is currently cycling from John O''Groats to lands End! Everything else in the house is my way so better let have him one thing!! x

Could this possibly be why he's so keen to spend so much time cycling? :wink:
  • mcp73
    mcp73 Posts: 93
    Is your husband one of the lads who's cycling with James Lawson? I wish them all the best, JOGLE in 8 days is quite a feat!
  • lakeland
    lakeland Posts: 76
    Even with a blanket it is going to get hot and you can't account for the times that it gets hot when nobody is home, the dining room idea sounds like the safest one
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    vicky257 wrote:

Wish i could find someone who was happy with my bike in the dining room!!

Dont forget Vicky, dishwashers are by far the best method of cleaning oily bike parts, the bath is an acceptable place to clean the bike off, and dirty bike gear might get stolen if left outside so in the house is fine (any floor will do). 8) 8)
  • vicky257 wrote:
    Thanks, I was hoping it was a phase that would shortly fizzle out but nope...he is currently cycling from John O''Groats to lands End! Everything else in the house is my way so better let have him one thing!! x

Could this possibly be why he's so keen to spend so much time cycling? :wink:

Ha ha It could well be!!
    mcp73 wrote:
    Is your husband one of the lads who's cycling with James Lawson? I wish them all the best, JOGLE in 8 days is quite a feat!

Nope he is doing it on his own for our daughter x

vicky257 wrote:

Wish i could find someone who was happy with my bike in the dining room!!

Dont forget Vicky, dishwashers are by far the best method of cleaning oily bike parts, the bath is an acceptable place to clean the bike off, and dirty bike gear might get stolen if left outside so in the house is fine (any floor will do). 8) 8)

Dirty bike gear and tools are constantly lying around the place anyway!! I am beginning to realise from you all that I have been a lot more forgiving than most! x
  • Throw a blanket over it job done.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Throw a blanket over it job done.

After you'd cleaned it for him! :lol:
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    vicky257 wrote:

Dirty bike gear and tools are constantly lying around the place anyway!! I am beginning to realise from you all that I have been a lot more forgiving than most! x
    Not a bit of it. Our other halves all encourage us to buy more bikes and ride more, because that will make us healthy and live longer. What, you wish we'd die? Oh.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • What?! Completely not what I said!!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    mcp73 wrote:

A guy who I work with did it in 5 days the other month. Not sure which way he went though.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    vicky257 wrote:
    What?! Completely not what I said!!

Welcome to internet arguments...

:wink:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    vicky257 wrote:
    Nope he is doing it on his own for our daughter x

A commendable effort!!

is he doing it for a cause or just for new baby expenses?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • She has cystic fibrosis so done it for Cystic fibrosis trust..he got back today