V specific bike advice

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
My employer apparently joins the cycle scheme next week or so.

I am therefore in the position of being able to get a new bike.

Firstly some background. I started using a bike to commute with in April and have managed about twice a week. The commute is around 17 miles, along a road (5 miles ish) and the rest (12miles) along canal paths. The canal paths in some sections are quite bumpy, narrow and muddy. So much so, that when it rains I take a different route uisng more road and join the canal later.

I started commuting on a rigid mtb with slicks and then moved up to a steel road bike (with full mudguards). The mtb was for when the weather was rubbish but I enjoy ridind the road bike so much more I hardly ever use the mtb.

I have narrowed my choice down to 3 bikes and my preference is for something different to my road and mtb. To be honest I really don't need to change my Genesis equilibrium seems to be OK on the commute and I love riding it.

My preference is to spend a few hundred pounts less than the limit as I would like to buy some winter gear and lights.

Options

1. Genesis Day One Alfine - I like the colour, aethestic on this bike and the alfine would be a good choice for winter commuting (I think). It also has drops which I prefer but is expensive and there dont seem to be many discounts around.

2. Charge Filter Apex - this is a cyclocross which hopefully means it will be easier on the bumpier and muddy bits of the canal path. It is also the cheapest, currently around £650

3. Cotic Roadrat - the most expensive and flat barred. They no longer do the drop version and the long frame does not particularly suit drops.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comments