My bike arrived

mkviken
mkviken Posts: 217
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
well i picked up my first road bike today

seems real nice - was hoping to get out on it tonight but due to weather and other commitments i wasn't able to.

that gave me a chance to fit my cateye cycle computer and lights and bottle cage etc and set the seat roughly where i want it before my bike fit next week.

bike now de-warning-stickered, reflectors removed and pie plate thrown in the bin and mr.sheened ready for the maiden ride tomorrow hopefully!

2580886b.jpg

b949d233.jpg

52f1b091.jpg

can't decide whether to attach my mini pump to the seat tube or carry it in my pocket and the bike came with a long 3M protective sticker but i don't know where its for... maybe the underside of the down tube?

Comments

• Luuuuuuurvley :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • mkviken
    don't think the wife will let me keep it in the living room after tonight though!!!
  • ALaPlage
    ALaPlage Posts: 732
    I think that falls under "Sod's Law" New bike. Rain.

Unusual colour scheme but nice looking bike.
    Trek Madone 5.9
    Kinesis Crosslight T4
  • mkviken
    yeah its a bit different to the usual white and blue or white and red bikes.

its pretty nice in the flesh. you can see the bare carbon under the lacquer which looks pretty cool.
  • I think that colour scheme looks pretty slick.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Nice bike, is your sticker about 10" long and tapers slightly to one end? If so maybe it's a chain stay protector.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Lovely looking bike. I really like the colour scheme. More refreshing than the far too common red, white and black.

Mr Sheen on carbon though? Has it started melting yet? :twisted:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Really nice Focus bikes. Look even better in the flesh.
    That saddle to bar drop looks quite high, even with all those spacers :?:
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Rubbish - it might be for you, but it depends on personal morphology. My personal bar drop is 155mm.
  • mkviken
    i thought it didn't look enough of a drop and I was going to take a spacer out of the stem!

I'm about to go out now for the first ride so will get a better idea of how its set up

im also getting fitted next week properly.
  • mkviken wrote:
    i thought it didn't look enough of a drop and I was going to take a spacer out of the stem!

I'm about to go out now for the first ride so will get a better idea of how its set up

im also getting fitted next week properly.

I would imagine it might take you a while & some trial & error to get things just right.

Good luck with the first ride, I'm still roading my mountain bike but gagging for a road bike. Will have one later this year or early next. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • YPVISA
    YPVISA Posts: 9
    Sticker will likely be a chainstay protector, good for stopping chain slap as well as protect the frame. Nice bike btw :)
  • ShutUpLegs
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Rubbish - it might be for you, but it depends on personal morphology. My personal bar drop is 155mm.

You a road beginner :?:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Nice first bike, great colourscheme imo, enjoy!!
  • mkviken
    well i went for my first ride today
    29 miles, ave 15.1mph, max 37.3mph

really enjoyed the bike. feels really light and easy to ride compared to my mountain bike!

halfway thru the ride i added the last spacer to raise the stem and found it a bit better.

also adjusted my cleats and added 10mm seat height and 10mm seat forward and its somewhere near i think

just need to fine tune the front derailed as if I'm in low front med rear it rubs a bit on the front cage.

also had to adjust the front headset as it as knocking but otherwise really good.
  • blackhands
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

No, a qualified coach. You shouldn't make comments about something being too big/small etc without seeing the person in question on the bike.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Looks a nice bike. Enjoy it!
  • mkviken
    i noticed quite a bit of free play in the headset after around 10 miles or so and re adjusted the top nut and all feels well again.

is it possible the headset bearing will be potentially damaged or did i catch it in time?

im a bit OTT with maintenance but want to be sure nothing could be potentially damaged

thanks
  • ShutUpLegs
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

No, a qualified coach. You shouldn't make comments about something being too big/small etc without seeing the person in question on the bike.

Where did I say it was too big/ small.
  • ShutUpLegs
    mkviken wrote:
    i noticed quite a bit of free play in the headset after around 10 miles or so and re adjusted the top nut and all feels well again.

is it possible the headset bearing will be potentially damaged or did i catch it in time?

im a bit OTT with maintenance but want to be sure nothing could be potentially damaged

thanks

Should be fine, did you slacken the stem bolts before tightening the top nut?
  • blackhands
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Well, I took saddle to bar drop looks quite high (is high the appropriate word?) to mean too big.
  • mkviken
    edited August 2012
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    mkviken wrote:

thanks

Should be fine, did you slacken the stem bolts before tightening the top nut?

Yeah mate, slackened off stem clamp, nipped down top nut, checked steering was smooth etc then centred bars and nipped the stem clamp up

would it be worth re-packing the grease in the bearing or would it be ok?

there was a quite a bit of play there but i picked up on it and re-adjused it after about 10 miles of riding so hopefully i caught it in time.
  • mkviken
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    blackhands wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Well, I took saddle to bar drop looks quite high (is high the appropriate word?) to mean too big.

i raised the bars about 5mm by swapping a spacer round so its slightly less of a drop.

I'm getting a proper bike fitting on monday but i think the bike is somewhere near where i need it to be honest.

i wouldn't mind maybe trying a 10mm shorter stem though to bring the bars closer to me
  • blackhands
    The problem when you get say a road bike for the first time the position feels strange because you are leaning forward and it seems as if you are about to tip too far forward. After a while you will get used to it, so don't be surprised if you find you need to make changes before too long.

Also, unless you are used to narrower tyres the bike will feel unstable. I lent somebody some wheels with 23mm tyres [Veloflex Pave - properly inflated] the other week and he felt very unstable after his 25mm tyres. He was a new rider doing a club time trial.