S/S Jerseys with full length zips........not keen on those

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Is it just me ?

I have some S/S jerseys with short zips at the front which fit better and look better. The ones I have with full length zips , I dont use them nearly as much as they just arent as close fitting nor as comfortable as the others.

Last time I was in decathlon they were selling bright yellow btwin SS jerseys with short zip at front and big zip pocket at back. They were cheap and cheerful and I was amazed how well they fit and no small and seperate back pockets to fumble in. Do you guys stick with the SS types or does it not really matter if its SS or LS ?
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,150
    personally i much prefer jerseys with full-length zips - and i like a snug fit

there's big variation, some makes/models fit me much better than others - fit depends on design/cut vs. body shape, not on the zip, three back pockets means they don't sag, and stuff tends to stay put

ss vs. ls depends on the weather, if it's a cooler day i tend to use arm warmers with an ss, then if/as the day warms up they can be slipped off

there's no 'right' jersey for everyone, choose what's comfy and suits the type of riding you do
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't get why so many jerseys have half zips. More annoying to take off (particularly when the pockets are loaded) and less ventilation when it gets really hot.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Long Zips are far more versatile.

Eg. I have a long zip DHB jersey which has a windproof front. I can unzip it 90% the way for climbing so I don't overheat.. then zip it back up for the decent so I don't freeze.

Short Zip jerseys don't really offer enough ventilation.

+I agree with the annoying to take off comment... especially as jerseys are supposed to be tight fitting it can be a bit of a squeeze with a short zip!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I prefer a full length zip personally, great for ventilation ...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Someone isnt riding hard enough obviously.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I spend distressing amounts of the summer with my jersey fully unzipped and can't imagine riding at over 20C with a 1/4 zip.

You don't happen to live somewhere in the cold north do you (you know, Milton Keynes or somewhere. I'm a Londoner :wink: ).
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I find full zips bunch up and fold over when you are in riding position and shorter zips fit much better and more comfortable. Not so much that it is an unsolveable problem as I have some full zips which actually I dont notice once on the bike, but I have tried many that I couldnt get on with and have sent back due to this. Generally I prefer half zip or 1/3 zip - a quarter might not be enough for ventilation. I wouldnt ride round fully unzipped unless I had a base layer underneath, or all the ladies might faint in shock (and not for a good reason)!

I actually find that now I have better jerseys, they vent well when done up and I ride more and more with them fully zipped up and can feel them breathing while on the move. Its only when I stop that things heat up and I need to unzip.

especially with bibshorts - nobody should fully unzip their top half and expose the bibs - I have had to promise to my family not to let anyone see them in public!
  • Raffles
    Raffles Posts: 1,137
    I like jerseys that fit neatly, its easy to get this with a 1/3 zip. I find the full zips point outwards down at the bottom and I dont like that. Do any of you who buy full zips jerseys get a size too small for a snug fit ? In my case, I wear a size XL in my 1/3 zip jerseys, would I get better fit with a size L in full zip size without being suffocatingly tight ?
    2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Sizing varies from one garment to the next, never mind between brands - so its not that simple Raffles. I have lost count of the number of jerseys I have tried that didnt fit for some reason because the shape didnt fit my body shape. The ones with full zips that I found least problematic in terms of the zip folding over, pointing out, bunching up etc - is the Altura Ergofit ones. I think another part of the equation is how flexible the zip is when done up - some seem really stiff like cardboard and others closer to the flexibility of fabric. As well as being flexible, the Altura ones (and some other) seem a bit shorter at the front, which means the zip is not so long which means it doesnt fold over so much when in the riding posision.

In practice though, you notice it less when on the bike than you might think when trying the clothes on at home.

Its a very inexact science though... part zips are more forgiving and dont have to be exactly right, whereas full zips seem to have a much smaller sweet spot but its just trial and error to find the right one.