Threaded Crank Arms...how!?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited August 2012 in Road general
Hi,
Just bought a new Caad8 and after 2 days of riding, the RH pedal has completely de threaded the crank arm where it sits. I'm pretty certain I got it all right - RH pedal on RH side, wound it in using finger pressure by pedalling backwards then a gentle tighten once it was in.

Today I was riding home from work and it felt like it was coming loose. Eventually the pedal fell off (ok, should have stopped there) and although the pedal seemed ok, but the crank arm is f'd. The thread is totally b*ggered and I obviously can't even screw the pedal in now as its totally threaded.

Just wondering - I'm going to call the shop tomorrow to find out what's gone wrong here. I have fitted pedals to other bikes with no problem and this seems odd to me.

Is there any chance I have been a total mong and done something wrong here? Just wanted to make sure!

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    May be you didnt tighten the pedal in the crank properly, as it shouldn't come loose in the first place.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If as you say you started screwing it in using your fingers, it seems unlikely that you've cross-threaded it. How tightly did you snug it up with the pedal spanner? Did you grease the threads first?
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    coriordan wrote:
    Hi,
    Just bought a new Caad8 and after 2 days of riding, the RH pedal has completely de threaded the crank arm where it sits. I'm pretty certain I got it all right - RH pedal on RH side, wound it in using finger pressure by pedalling backwards then a gentle tighten once it was in.

Today I was riding home from work and it felt like it was coming loose. Eventually the pedal fell off (ok, should have stopped there) and although the pedal seemed ok, but the crank arm is f'd. The thread is totally b*ggered and I obviously can't even screw the pedal in now as its totally threaded.

Just wondering - I'm going to call the shop tomorrow to find out what's gone wrong here. I have fitted pedals to other bikes with no problem and this seems odd to me.

Is there any chance I have been a total mong and done something wrong here? Just wanted to make sure!

You did not tighten it enough.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    A decent shop should be able to repair the crank by fitting a helicoil insert for about a tenner - pedals need to be in pretty firmly - 30-40Nm isn't what I'd term 'gentle'
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..