New here and New Bike upto £1500

MDaw
MDaw Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey all,

Yes another what should i buy thread..... But am kinda torn and slightly lost. Been riding a year on me trusty Hardrock after a bit of time not riding and am thoroughly enjoying meself. Now i know i have the same enthusiasm i once had for Biking would like to treat myself to a new bike. Mostly used for 30-40 mil XC routes at weekends a 20 mile commute each day and a few laps of me lcal trail once or twice a week. My first question is should i even bother with full sus or just stick to hardtail? i kinda like the idea of a less heavy bike and the full sus seems like it would be wasted to be honest for the type of riding i do and my long commute. Mail order is a no no as i'd like to actually sit on the bike prior to purchasing itand also kinda have my heart set on a 29er due to my gangly frame and the amount of miles i would be doing. Any feedback is much appreciated as i'm genuinely lost of where to start.

Thanks very much in advance

Martyn

Comments

• Crib
    Crib Posts: 7
    I'm looking into a similar thing at the moment and my main choices are between this Cube http://www.cube.eu/en/29er/reaction-29-gtc-pro/ which comes in at around £1350 or the Canyon Grand Canyon 9.9 29er. Obviously can't test ride the Canyon but the Cube has similar geometry that would give you a good feel for how both bikes will handle.

I'm also staying away from full sus. I've had a stumpy fsr in the past and while it was a huge amount of fun, I just couldn't be arsed with the maintenance of FS. Also it's nice to go on an hour ride on a HT and then not need to spend the same mount of time cleaning it again thanks to the simple design :)
  • MDaw
    Both stunning bikes love the look of the Cube but the whole Carbon thing is a no no for me tbh. As i'm far from expert at riding a bike worries me a bit that i will damage it and would prefer something a little more hardy. That Canyon looks very nice however as you mention just a shame it's mail order only. Have seen a Carve in the flesh also alongside the Cube and have to say the Cube looks alot better. Just a shame you can't get any 29er Cubes atm or i would consider a non Carbon Cube.
  • MDaw
    Still after any advice/pointers if anyne has anything to add guys. Got pointed in the direction of a Trek today namely http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... 5#features anyone have any good or bad points on Trek in general or this paticular bike? as im not gonna lie alot of this stuff i still don't understand :) ie the fox vs rockshox thing or avid/shimano brakes, xram/shimano gears etc. Thanks in advance

M
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Sram/Shimano - whichever you prefer, I know and like the shimano gear change system so that would be my preference.

RS vs Fox - Fox probably need a more rigorous maintenance regime.

I am afraid I have nothing to add on bikes - 29ers are witch craft. My guess is the Cube is better specced than the Trek or Spesh, but in general spec drops a little on 29ers vs their 26er counterpart as components tend to be a bit more pricey.

Definitely try and test ride a 29er though you may not find them to your liking vs the 26er you are used to - yes they have a rep as mile munchers but depending on the terrain you ride that may not fit your needs.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • MDaw
    Cheers Paul. I've sat on and rode a 29er around the roads by my lbs namely the Carve. The geometry felt pretty good but obviously varies bike to bike so would want to ride whichever bikes it is i choose to shortlist. I just felt the 29er rolled beter and felt quicker than my current 26er although that could be just how much of an upgrade it was tbh sure anything will feel quick compared to me hardrock...