Lands End to john O'Groats

Eskimo427
Eskimo427 Posts: 288
In just over a week and a half I'll be cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats. Unfortunately due to circumstances and the weather I haven’t been able to do as many long rides as I’d like to, nor will I get the chance to do another. However, the long rides I have done 100+ miles I’ve found my neck has started to ache and after one ride, 8hrs I had to stop as my neck was quite painful. Apart from bike fitting etc. are there any other things I can do relieve the strain on my neck or help support it?

Thanks

Comments

• neilrobins
    neilrobins Posts: 102
    I get a similar pain after an hour not just on my end to end ride but on day rides, short rides, I tend to sit up a bit take in the scenery and relax for a mile or so and it fades. If it returns I just get off the bike for 5 mins to completely change my body position. My pain generally goes within a few mins of finishing a ride. I have tweaked my position over time but the neck ache still returns. Have a look in the training section, there's a few posts on neck ache.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Having had similar issues with neck pain I find that it is made worse if back of neck gets cold, so try to keep your neck area warm, ie use a high collar top or baselayer with it zipped up (if not too hot) or wear a buff as a neck warmer.
    It`s a horrid pain to have so hope you find a way to manage it