Rear post adaptor.

welsh brian
welsh brian Posts: 23
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all I have a Canyon nerve am 6 and am planning on getting a set of hope v2 brakes for it and running 203mm discs front and rear. I can find the adaptor for the front no problems but car'nt seem to find a post to post adaptor for a 203mm rear disc.Is it just me or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanx Brian

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably.
    Superstar sell them, but I doubt there's much call for them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • superstar has an adaptor type 8 according to there website which fits front and rear but looks to put the caliper forwards to it's current placing so I assume it would'nt sit right on the disc as the curent adaptor just sits under the caliper and the bolts go throgh the caliper, adaptor and then the frame. Would a 180mm disc be better?
  • cooldad
    I don't know anyone who runs a 203 rear. Even people with 203 fronts seem to manage fine with a 160 rear, so I would think 180 is more than enough.
    The rear does very little work, and under heavy braking all the weight is on the front anyway, so it will l,ock up very easily.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The smallest they do for v2 brakes is 183mm so it'll have to be that one I think. I ride mostly at cwmcarn the twrch trail and the dowwnhill but by the time I get the the bottom of the downhill my hands are aching from braking and I don't go slow either so I figured bigger is better
  • cooldad
    I don't do DH but Twrch doesn't need much braking - I have 160mm each end and no problems. And I'm not light.
    Maybe better brakes instead of bigger?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Or use less brakes?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Or use less brakes?
    This or what cooldad said.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IIRC the mount uses the same as the front post standard but i have not checked this and can not find any drawings for the rear post standard if there is one.

will see is i can find anything later.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I only really need the bigger brakes for the downhill, twrch is just a nice ride to the top.

I might pop into the lbs on the weekend and ask them for some advice, might even come out with some new brakes.
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    They are the same front and rear. Had to get 180mm adapters for my canyon. Asked in a LBS and they hadn't heard of rear post mount, and were doubting me until I pointed one out on one of their display bikes!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    nicklouse wrote:
    IIRC the mount uses the same as the front post standard but i have not checked this and can not find any drawings for the rear post standard if there is one.

Rear post mount drawing/measurements/dimensions can be found here.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    203mm on the rear is daft, a friend had them on his bike and on downhills when he just wanted to trail the brakes a bit to shed speed he couldn't stop it locking up and had several moments, he's now using 180's on the rear. Only worth going 203mm if you need big heat capacity for a long downhill (as in race type environment).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    cobba wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Rear post mount drawing/measurements/dimensions can be found here.
    cheers will be added to the brake mount FAQ.

or put into a new FAQ... not sure yet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    203mm on the rear is daft, a friend had them on his bike and on downhills when he just wanted to trail the brakes a bit to shed speed he couldn't stop it locking up and had several moments, he's now using 180's on the rear. Only worth going 203mm if you need big heat capacity for a long downhill (as in race type environment).
    203 rears have there place and on a DH race bike is not always one. it totally depends on the rider and track. 180 and 140 is suitable for some riders and some brakes.

again running larger rotors also means that you can run the levers closer to the bars and you do not need to pull the brakes on as such. just squeeze. helps a lot with fatigue.