Going through far too many BB's... i'm doing something wrong

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening guys,

I'm going through far too many BB's... OK, the last one i understand as both sides seized due to water and mud. I can live with that. This one though has been treated only to hard trails and sun.
Deore 10 speed setup, running Deore level HT II BB.

What i'm thinking is i've done the litle retention bolt up too tight with my tool, i must admit i give it a decent tighten (with my hand of course) but should i be doing it just finger tight softly and then using the 2 allen bolts for the holding it in place ?

Now i sit back and think about it, most BB issues i've had seem to be on the non-drive side.

Am i on the right lines you think ?

Comments

• so how long are they lasting?
  • weeksy59
    so how long are they lasting?

This latest one was less than a fortnight, about 50 miles off-road i rekon.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    weeksy59 wrote:
    What i'm thinking is i've done the litle retention bolt up too tight with my tool, i must admit i give it a decent tighten (with my hand of course) but should i be doing it just finger tight softly and then using the 2 allen bolts for the holding it in place ?
    Yes, just finger tight. Shimano suggest 0.7Nm. That's really very little torque.
    If you have been overtightening the bearings, you will have overtightened BOTH sides, not just one - the crankset axle is linked between drive and non-drive sides.

Anothe rthing worth considering is, maybe your frame needs to have the BB shell faced to ensure both sides are exactly parallel.
  • weeksy59
    Anothe rthing worth considering is, maybe your frame needs to have the BB shell faced to ensure both sides are exactly parallel.

I've fitted this latest one a lot looser, so we'll see how we go with this and then see from there. I think without doubt based upon replies here and STW i've been doing them FAR too tight.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There is not loose and tight really, there's right. Set it up with the chain off.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As a rule of thumb and if you're not sure how things should feel, with the pinch bolts loose do it up tight (to make sure it's all pulled togethere properly) then back it right off an then do it up until you just start to feel some resistance, then do up the pinch bolts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708