New bike help please

Morty84
Morty84 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
I'm looking at getting a first mtb. Seen the Merida matt pro d from merlin cycles but seen mixed reviews. Some say it's good for the price £250 other say the opposite. I know the shocks could do with going first but they'll do for the start. The only thing is I thought there was 3 types of mtb, DH, dirt and xc. What I want to do is trails maybe with a few jumps dirt path sort of thing. Nothing like dirt bmx (use to do) with jump after jump.
Would this bike be ok for this sort out of riding? Is the frame capable of jumps without falling to bits? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look in Buying Advice and you'll find loads of similar current threads, including a few mentioning the bike.

Bike's OK fork is rubbish.

And most bikes will take a few jumps, it's the landings (bad ones) that wreck them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Morty84
    I haven't really found much on this bike. Just that the shocks aint the best. Is the spec any good for the price? I don't know the first about best type of gears brake etc.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    cooldad wrote:
    Have a look in Buying Advice.

Bike's OK fork is rubbish

As above!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to reinforce, in bike parlance you have forks at the front, a shock controls rear suspension.

The bike is a perfectly good and fairly tough bike, the forks are fairly rubish though
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Morty84
    Ok. Thought forks meant rigid and shock was suspension.