Over used chain ... Damage

spoonerwatkins
spoonerwatkins Posts: 2
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help me, I'm a little new to bicycle repairs although am fairly competent with a spanner etc. as I work in a mechanical environment. I am embarking on a fairly long ride in a couple of weeks and have been servicing, checking and setting up my bike to ensure it will last the duration and all is well, however, my brother has decided to join me and has asked me to look at his bike too. On inspection I have noticed a number of problems some of which I have been able to fix but also some with which I need a little assistance...

Upon checking the chain stretch the wear indicator suggests it is resting at about 2mm, looking further I have realized that this has caused further damage, the chain-set outer and middle rings have several teeth missing, and, through either this or as a cause of the problem there is about 3mm of play in the bottom bracket. To top it off when I decided I would take a look at the bottom bracket it looks like someone has tried before and failed! ripping the thread out of the crank...
This leaves me with several questions.

How might I remove the chain-set in order to replace it without a thread to work off of? (jig and puller?), what might suffice as a compatible chain-set or can I simply replace rings as funding is limited; if so where do I get them from?
Lastly if I find a way to remove the chain-set what is the procedure for removal and re-fitting of the bottom bracket and can it damage the housing having been used in this condition?

On the upside the rear cassette appears un-damaged and potentially re-usable.

The specifics of the bike are as follows:

Make/model: Carrera Hellcat, not sure what year.

Chain-set: Powerflo front PFF with SR Suntour AP 550 cranks (175mm?) Rings are 42 tooth outer 32 mid and 22 low.

Cassette: Not sure of make, Shimano? 9 speed, 11 tooth high/outer 32 tooth low/inner

Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX rear/ Shimano STX RC front

Shifters: Shimano Deore LX, (both)

Bottom Bracket: Not sure of make but square fitment about 1/2 inch drive, (any ideas without removing?)

Apologies for the essay and if I have used any incorrect terminology, If anyone can help it would be really appreciated, thanks.

Luke

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Big hammer and replace the lot. Read Park Tools web pages.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    The chain rings might just have some shorter teeth to aid shifting, many do. Pics?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    it looks like someone has tried before and failed! ripping the thread out of the crank...
    This leaves me with several questions.

which thread?
  • As above if its the threads you would use for the crank extractor big hammer and something to use as a drift. If the pedals you can get a helicoil fitted HOWEVER if the rings are toast maybe best to get a new one imho. You will have to replace the lot mind (chain cassette and chainrings) as new hates to mix with old in the drivetrain.

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is it worth it? - looks like a bit of a BSO (no offence) and although you don't say how long a ride you're planning, it doesn't look like a a marathon machine really.
    With everything that sounds wrong with it, you might be better off looking at a new cheapish bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the chainset is rivetted you can't replace the rings so it's new chainset and BB anyway, just mash it apart, I have a rigid legged hub puller that works on cranks OK though.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.