Wiggo and Froome

motdoc
motdoc Posts: 97
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
Looking at the two of them, I want them to be friends again.

Just completed the most impressive year in British cycling history and they look like they can barely stand each other.

I hope I am being paranoid about this.

Guys, congratulations to both, you are legends! From the fans, I hope you stick together!
Arrrrr I be in Devon.

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    A couple of interesting autobiographies to look forward to, don't you think?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    motdoc wrote:

Just completed the most impressive year in British cycling history and they look like they can barely stand each other.

Guys, congratulations to both, you are legends! From the fans, I hope you stick together!

In the real world sometimes people aren't all best friends.
  • 20eyes
    20eyes Posts: 25
    motdoc wrote:

Thought exactly the same thing when I saw the two of them "congratulate" each other this afternoon.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    It will be a difficult one for Brailsford to manage, but its Cav who's come away with nothing again, whilst Brad has now attained God Like status and Froome has proved that if theres any elevation in a stage he can kick Twiggos ass.

Personally I think team sky is going to implode, there were always too many egos with different agendas, whilst I totally applaud what they have achieved ahead of schedule.

Unless they specifically tell Froome that they are going to ride next year to give him the G.C in the grand tours then he'll be off, and obviously the hottest property in the transfer market. ( My money is on Radioshack)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    tim wand wrote:
    It will be a difficult one for Brailsford to manage, but its Cav who's come away with nothing again, whilst Brad has now attained God Like status and Froome has proved that if theres any elevation in a stage he can kick Twiggos ass.

Personally I think team sky is going to implode, there were always too many egos with different agendas, whilst I totally applaud what they have achieved ahead of schedule.
    Unless they specifically tell Froome that they are going to ride next year to give him the G.C in the grand tours then he'll be off, and obviously the hottest property in the transfer market. ( My money is on Radioshack)

I think that's the point. It doesn't really matter that much now, job done. Brailsford has gone from the fear of failing to achieve the 5 year target (and let's face it, it wasn't looking that clever 12 months or so ago)to now suffocating under a weight of expectation and a quandry about making the whole thing work with 2 GC leaders and the world's greatest sprinter. I'm sure he'd be mightily relieved if some of these decisions were taken out of his hands.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Typical! You wait a century for a GC contender to come along, then TWO show up at the same time! Huh!!!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • I'm sure I read somewhere that Cav's been told that the Green Jersey isn't a priority, and although he's got a 3-year contract, Sky won't hold him to it if he wants to go.

I suspect Froome was under 'team orders' this year, so I hope he's getting well-paid. Unless he's on megabucks I don't see him sitting in Wiggo's wake again if he's not allowed to go for the GC..... and even then, it's not always about the money*

* [cynical] oh yes it is [/cynical]
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    tim wand wrote:

Agreed, but maybe BMC. I wouldn't be surprised if Cadel retired, and TJVG isn't going to be team leader for a year or two.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Question from my naive POV (which is the reason I rarely read Pro Race) - if Frome goes elsewhere, would he have/get the team to support him as a true GC contender?

Will there also be a 'been there, done it' attitude at Sky next year, maybe meaning Frome can stay on and win Le Tour?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Froome will get his chance and I think he'd be mad to leave Sky, it'll be a big mountain TDF next year so I can't see Wiggins going for GC. As for Cavendish, he got three stage wins and crashed out on two, if he'd stayed upright that could've been 5 and "cav" would have had a great tour, plus he wouldn't have got green if they'd tried this year.
    That team has a great set up, why would you leave?
  • ^this.
    There may also be more pressure on Dave B to keep the team together. It is a British team. How would it look if all his British stars moved suddenly to other "foreign" teams.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    tim wand wrote:

No he hasn't.
  • tim_wand
    Stage 17 to Peyragudes this year, I think it was generally accepted and certainly my view that Froome held back for Wiggins and could have taken the stage win from Valverde. Whether it would have been enough time to give him G.C overall (probably not) and maybe Wiggins was just doing what he needed to do.

Twiggo has improved no end in the Mountains but I still think in a classic tour with more climbs and Froome not riding as a domestique but a G.C contendor, he would take Wiggins.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    I think he was showboating so people would think that when in reality he had nothing left to close the gap.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    tim wand wrote:
    Stage 17 to Peyragudes this year, I think it was generally accepted and certainly my view that Froome held back for Wiggins and could have taken the stage win from Valverde. Whether it would have been enough time to give him G.C overall (probably not) and maybe Wiggins was just doing what he needed to do.

Twiggo has improved no end in the Mountains but I still think in a classic tour with more climbs and Froome not riding as a domestique but a G.C contendor, he would take Wiggins.

+1

It's not just about the last couple of kilometres when Froome kept waiting for Wiggins. If Froome was the team leader on another team, he would be free to attack lower on the final mountain of stages and take big chunks of time from Wiggins who can't respond to the vicious accelerations of pure climbers.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Froome's not going to RadioShack because there is no RadioShack next year. Don't see him or Cav going anywhere. Both on mega bucks at SKY.
  • tim_wand
    Arise Sir Bradley Wiggins, U.C.I world ranked No1 , Tour Winner, Olympic T.T champion. Dauphine Winner, Paris Nice Winner Tour de Romandie winner and S.P.O.T.Y, (he ll win it even if Ennis performs naked)

Can you really see anyone with ambitions of achieving a similar palmares ( and the potential in Froomes case), riding as his domestique.

They are all well paid, and would be elsewhere, they ve probably earned more money in One year than Merckx did in his entire career, but I bet every single one of them would give it back for Merckx Palmares,

Cav will remain and pick up the pieces where the course allows, Froome is 28 and in the form of his life and at the right stage to be the leader of a team with Grand tour ambitions, Maybe the Giro or Veulta would be enough for him for now as Twiggo isnt getting any younger. Its going to be interesting to see what develops.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    I think Brailsford has shown he's got a very sensible head on his shoulders and is an excellent manager of men. I trust him, and for that matter the riders, to be able to sort out their personal agendas and make the right decisions to do as well as possible next year. This year the plan was for Wiggo to get yellow. Cav knew that, Froome knew that and they did their bit to make it happen. Unfortunately it didn't work out for Cav at the Olympics but he doesn't read like a bitter man... https://twitter.com/MarkCavendish I don't think there can be much bitterness. If Froome wants to leave then he will and I don't think anyone would blame him unless they decide to ride for him next year in which case he'll undoubtedly stay. They'll look at the course for next year and make a professional decision. I'm looking forward to seeing what that decision is.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    The whole Wiggins vs Froome thing still remains to be decided. Just because at one point on a particular day for a short period it APPEARED that froome could go on and attack. And lets say he did do exactly that , how long exactly would his attack have lasted?could he then have settled back to the same output as before or would he have gone into the red? would he gain 2 mins then lose 1.45 when wiggins dieseled his ass? Did anyone else attack? did they stay away?-so..? You cant answer. no-one can.
    Hopefully those questions can be answered if Froome goes elsewhere.

My opinion- this tour, Wiggins still would have spanked him.On a more mountainous less tt style parcours ooh could be close.I shall look forward to that one.But were just guessing,
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    I've just scanned this thread and all I can remember reading and remembering are three words:-
    Ennis, Naked and Spanked
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • tim_wand
    Feltup wrote:
    I've just scanned this thread and all I can remember reading and remembering are three words:-
    Ennis, Naked and Spanked

Good call and thanks , none of us know and only the future will show, but I hope its one with NAKED SPANKED ENNIS.