Do people actually find this interesting?

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited August 2012 in MTB general
http://bike-channel.tv/film/where-the-t ... easer-long

Looks fecking boring to me.

Boring landscape, boring video, boring riding (apart from the crashes) boring boring boring.

Comments

• Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    Looks pretty good to me.

But the idea of scouting and riding bare mountains is..to me, fing epic. One day...
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I saw the shorter trailer and it looked boring as hell to me. I thought the whole thing about that film was "pushing boundaries" and "riding new stuff" etc. but all they seem to be doing is riding down big steep scree slopes, stuff that Josh bender etc were doing ten years ago.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    It's kind of following the skiing and snowboarding idea of looking for first decents and never ridden terrain but I agree that the majority of it does not inspire me - its not the riding i do or aspire to. A normal mtb film generally shows a level in excess of what I can hope to achieve but at least its singletrack and terrain I ride and enjoy.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'm looking forward to it, hoping it's something similar to The Art Of Flight, but with bikes. Hopefully they'll do the free 24hr thing again like they did for Strength In Numbers.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    i like the big mountain stuff , dirt jumping sends me to sleep though .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I got to some arty stuff with a Polaroid and got bored. About 3 seconds in I think.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Its like red bull rampage.. after about a min its boring as buggery.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I find most riding vids boring. I prefer riding. Only ones I've really enjoyed have been the Danny Macaskill stuff. Mainly because it's more like circus stuff.
    Same with music, I'd rather listen than watch.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I'm finding a lot of these new riding videos boring. This looks crap, strength in numbers was rubbish (shockingly), life cycles was unbelievably bad... I think once you've seen a lot them, they all become a bit samey, the only ones that really stick in my mind are NWD 10 and follow me.

I'm also not a fan of all this hippy dippy feelgood getting in touch with your feelings about why you ride shite that seems to be in all the movies now. I ride because it's fun. I like watching pros ride cool trails because it's interesting. I don't like paying money just to listen to them harp on about how riding makes them "feel the heart of nature through their tyres" or some bullshit.

I'm also bored of over-used gratuitous slow-mo.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I think slow mo is a little overused - everyone is a bit over excited by high def slow mo showing you such crystal clarity of the action but at the end of the day the action is the amazing bit - seeing it slowed down loses its impact.

I disagree though that Strength in Numbers was sh*t - I enjoyed it and bought it. I thought from the inside out was good but that was a while ago and I cant seem to find a copy to watch it again. Gonna watch lifecycles on youtube in a bit.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i think it looks brilliant, but more for the locations. i love seeing new places so i guess that's why i'm liking the look of it more than the actual riding
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Its the type of thing that I think would be really fun to actually have a go at, but isnt that exciting to watch
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Just saw the full 4 min trailer. Jesus christ mountain bikers talk some shite
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    So, they turn up in a remote town accompanied by a helicopter which takes them to the top of some breathtaking scenery. They ride down it, which takes a lot of skill and rather precludes taking in any of the natural grandeur. Then they complain about the local food and the lack of facilities and go off into one about how they're exploring the ends of the Earth. They remind me of gap year backpackers (apart from the helicopter, and the mountain biking instead of getting wasted in an Irish pub in Rangoon.) Also I can't help thinking that the full length version would be a bit like watching the trailer ten times
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I take it that you guys not liking this, don't aspire to do anything like this kind of riding?
  • nope...lol.

There is a snowboard version thats a bit similar, The Art of Flight, which is a similar concept. But, its awesome.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh29_SERH0Y
    I'd happily say that The Art of Flight is the best sports movie thing I've seen in a long while.... and I don't really like snowboarding :lol:

I'm just not turned on by guys doing skids down scree cliffs. I'd much rater a good bit of techy single track... Roam frinstnace.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCryAVVcyVY

Probably because its easier to relate to I guess... I mean, I'm never going to ride down a scree cliff in the middle of nowhere... I'd like to think that one day I'll visit Whistler.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    hmm. That could be it. I love watching them go down these crazy descents, since I'd love to have a go at most of it.
    I'm not a tricks guy though, sod the backflips and whatnot!

Same goes for Art of Flight - ever time I watch it, I just want to grab my board and go and ride those places.
  • Think I'd sh!t myself in the helicopter on The Art of Flight.... never mind on a snowboard :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Think I'd sh!t myself in the helicopter on The Art of Flight.... never mind on a snowboard :lol:
    Bloody monkeys. Remind me never to share a chopper with you then.