Can a notchy headset bed in?

jason555
jason555 Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

I’m looking for a little advice

I’ve just bought a new bike; a Ghost TR 5200 Alvine. Bought it online from a bike shop over 200miles away as they were the only shop that I could find who had that model of bike.

Got the bike delivered yesterday but have found two problems with it:
1. The Ritchey headset is notchy.
2. The Shimano M505 hydraulic disc brakes both have very little stopping power; feel like they both need bleeding

The shop have said give it a couple of weeks and let the brakes and headset bed in. I’m not so sure?
Maybe the brakes will bed in, but can a notchy headset bed in?

Can’t take the bike back to the shop easily due to the distance.

Any comments or advice greatly welcome.

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    What do you mean by notchy? Is there play? Take it apart and see if the cups are pitted or if the bearings are done but unlikely on a new bike. Try loosening the stem bolts and giving the top cap a quarter turn to see if it improves things (removing play).

The brakes will definitely need to bed in.
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    As above for headset adjustment. For the brakes, find a quiet downhill road/path and do twenty progressive stops with each brake. They'll get stronger each time.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Sounds like the headset is too tight, they do loosen off slightly but it still sounds like it's too tight.

Never heard of bedding bearings in!
  • When I said “notchy” what I meant was that if you pick the front wheel up off the ground and turn the handlebars the headset feels jerky not smooth.

Thanks for the help, the headset was too tight; only needed a slight adjustment but it’s cured it. :)

As for the brakes, I’ll give them a couple of weeks and hope they bed in? I have a set of Stroker Hayes hydraulic disc brakes on another bike, and the stopping power on them is fantastic. On the Shimano M505’s it’s the opposite; real poor. With the M505’s the travel on the brake levers is twice the distance of the Strokers, to get any kind of stopping power out of them? Hopefully this will get better with time.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stroker Tails are pretty good IMO. People complain about lack of feel, but they don't lack power.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sounds like the grease needs to move around the bearings in the headset, ride it, should settle. If not, get it checked.

RE: Stroker Trails, they were one of my fave brakes a while back. Good stoppers. Can be a bit on/off but as said, tonnes of power.