Arise sir Bradley

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
Our best cyclist and olympian ever.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• aclivity
    aclivity Posts: 94
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year is sorted now.

Team Sky for the team of the year? (except the BBC takes exception to mentioning that team, as it's a brand name. Like Manchester effing United isn't a brand name?)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,116
    sir?

should be duke at least
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    aclivity wrote:

Team Sky for the team of the year? (except the BBC takes exception to mentioning that team, as it's a brand name. Like Manchester effing United isn't a brand name?)

Bet Jessica Ennis wins it, if she so much asgets near a medal :(
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Our best cyclist...
    Yes
    ...and olympian ever.
    Er, no.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Our best cyclist...
    Yes
    ...and olympian ever.
    Er, no.

Well he has won more medals than any other brit at the olympics, so what would you call him?
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    not forgetting brailsford as coach of the year!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • garryc wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Our best cyclist...
    Yes
    ...and olympian ever.
    Er, no.

Well he has won more medals than any other brit at the olympics, so what would you call him?
    That was the basis on which I made the statement.

Of course if Sir Chris Hoy gets another he will be our best olympian ever.
    Tail end Charlie

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    A superb ride and well deserved win !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • aclivity wrote:

Not quite - he's had the misfortune to win in a year when the queens granddaughter has just won a lesser medal, ah well.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Monkeypump
    garryc wrote:
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Our best cyclist...
    Yes
    ...and olympian ever.
    Er, no.

That was the basis on which I made the statement.

Of course if Sir Chris Hoy gets another he will be our best olympian ever.

I would call him 'most decorated'. 'Best' or 'greatest' is very subjective, and for me it's not Wiggo. Most medals isn't the only criteria.
  • Monkeypump
    He should defo win SPOTY though.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    He's nailed on for Sir, and SPOTY.

He's the most "successful" British olympian, not the best.

Steve Redgrave takes some beating for the nature of his wins, and the time duration.

It is all subjective, bar the numbers.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Scrumple wrote:

Steve Redgrave takes some beating for the nature of his wins, and the time duration.

Really? Doesn't Redgrave's 5 golds present a case for most successful? It would give him the edge in a medal table.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Don't forget your stamps tomorrow,

image_update_ee48f4ee202287d2_1343847708_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg
  • Sky news press conference in the last 10-15 minutes was a classic.
    Admits to being "a bit tipsy", opines on this evenings bus death, swears and lays into the countries obsession with celebrity.
    A God. That is all.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Country's
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    aclivity wrote:

Honestly, would you vote for Wiggo or Froome? Oh yeah neither of them were actually born in Great Britain.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Scrumple wrote:

Really? Doesn't Redgrave's 5 golds present a case for most successful? It would give him the edge in a medal table.
    if we're getting into the semantics of who's the most successful, Redgraves Gold's were all won as part of a team (pairs or 4's) (shared effort?), Wiggo does have 3 individual medal performances
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • aclivity
    aclivity Posts: 94
    Mouth wrote:
    aclivity wrote:

Honestly, would you vote for Wiggo or Froome? Oh yeah neither of them were actually born in Great Britain.
    Place of birth is not the same as nationality.

And yes, I would, I think they are both great sportsmen, and Wiggins also appears to have a personality, unlike, say, many British born Wendyballers.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Aren't Ladbrokes all ready paying out on SPOTY?
    I think i've seen a link somewhere on this forum about them paying out on Wiggins getting SPOTY.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mouth wrote:
    aclivity wrote:

Fair comment in the case of Froome who is here for convenience and plans to return home when he can. In the case of Wiggins, it is completely irrelevent - why would you even make the comment? His dad was based in Ghent for the cycling and he came to London when he was two. If you are going to question his nationality, you could point out that his dad was Australian but his mother was from Kilburn and that is where he was brought up. If he's not British, what is he? Certainly not Belgian or Australian.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Rolf F wrote:
    Mouth wrote:
    aclivity wrote:

Fair comment in the case of Froome who is here for convenience and plans to return home when he can. In the case of Wiggins, it is completely irrelevent - why would you even make the comment? His dad was based in Ghent for the cycling and he came to London when he was two. If you are going to question his nationality, you could point out that his dad was Australian but his mother was from Kilburn and that is where he was brought up. If he's not British, what is he? Certainly not Belgian or Australian.

Just trolling to be honest. Wanted to see peoples opinions. British system. British training. British money. British medal to me.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    He speaks good English dunnee? Wiv a propah acccent. Yer can't get more English than Wiggo at the mo.

Or are we arguing for repatriation to his place of birth? Yeah - that'll go down well, I'm surprised some niche political party widely viewed as bonkers hasn't thought of implementing a policy of allocating nationality based in part on where your parents came from. Yeah. What a good idea.

Do I have to warp that in ^ & ^?
  • Sky news press conference in the last 10-15 minutes was a classic.
    Admits to being "a bit tipsy", opines on this evenings bus death, swears and lays into the countries obsession with celebrity.
    A God. That is all.

Just viewed that on youtube, can't fault him and his attitude.
    Tail end Charlie