What did i see?

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Well today whilst on one of the lifts at Champery we saw a guy get on next to us with a 2013 Scott Gambler with 650b wheels and Schwalbe Hans Dampf tyres with "First Ride - Schwalbe Development Team" written on the sidewalls.

2013-scott-gambler-downhill-mountain-bike1.jpg

It looked like this except didn't have 26 inch DT rims as shown, they were Stans 650b. Are the 2013 gamblers actually available for sale yet? And do they come with this paint scheme or the luminous green that most photos show them as? A quick google search would suggest the black one with stickers and fox dropper post was used for the uci DH, not as a sale bike.

Also i've heard nothing about a 650b variant, anyone have an explanation?

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Scott are being fairly secretive about their 2013 bikes I understand a bike shop in Aus leaked the dealer-only catalogue c/w sales patter before the bikes had been officially released. I don't think we'll see anything before Eurobike although there some pics on Pinkbike if you look hard enough

The bike in your picture is Fairclough's Gambler prototype
  • bennett_346
    So you reckon i saw them testing a 650b gambler proto that they havent announced yet? I'm a little confused to say the least. Would normal Fox 40s accomodate a 650b front wheel? It was identical in colour scheme to Faircloughs prototype.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Genuis has lost 26" wheels. It's all 650b and 29" http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ook-34489/

So Scott are certainly moving away from 26"
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bennett_346
    Interesting. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for it again round the area and see if i can glean another look at it closer. I was stood next to it for a good 5 minutes but never thought to ask the rider about it.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    Interesting. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for it again round the area and see if i can glean another look at it closer. I was stood next to it for a good 5 minutes but never thought to ask the rider about it.
    or take a picture? c'mon try harder next time - you could get a scoop posted on here wth a bit more effort :lol:
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • bennett_346
    I will take a picture if i see it but sadly never thought to do so at the time :lol:
  • .blitz
    yes some fricken pictures would help :)
  • .blitz
    bails87 wrote:
    So Scott are certainly moving away from 26"
    The 2013 Voltage still has 26" wheels. Maybe a new design is on the cards for 2014
  • bennett_346
    1337851134129-f619vhei3tj0-670-75.jpg

Tyres were thus ^^

Caption from where i nicked the pic states "The blue graphics denote a tyre in Schwalbe's development programme, this was a 650B Hans Dampf"
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    could just be a enduro version of the hans like brendan and many others were running in south africa. Although I doubt it would be 650b, you never know! pics needed!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    They may just be experimenting with the idea. They've released details of their 2013 DH bike - so maybe this is something they're looking at as a possibility for 2014
  • bennett_346
    lawman wrote:
    could just be a enduro version of the hans like brendan and many others were running in south africa. Although I doubt it would be 650b, you never know! pics needed!
    Had 650b written on the side of the rims and tyres. Im gutted i didn't think to take any photos at the time!
  • Well that's a pretty cool looking bike...but that rear sus looks really complicated!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    It's a single pivot setup, with a linkage to drive the shock. Try to picture what's connected to what - its not particularly complicated.