A good ride, spoilt at the last. :(

Ben6899
Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
Well that kinda spoilt my ride. I turned down a steep One-Way hill against the flow - by accident. When I realised, I checked for traffic and slowed RIGHT down to get to the bottom. This is a very quiet road up to a handful of houses.

Anyway, this lady makes a point of standing in the middle of the road to halt my progress...

Lady: "You can't come down here."
Me: "I know. I realised at the last minute, you can see I've slowed right down."
Lady: "Because my kids walk to school this way. They look right, but not left."
Me: "I realise this. I can assure you this was on my mind so I was being very careful until I could edge onto the main road."
Lady: "My mother was knocked down by a cyclist. She broke her hip and lost her leg."
Me: "I'm sorry about that, but not all cyclists go around knocking people over."

And she carried on...

Me: "Look. Don't lecture me."
Lady: "Oh. Don't lecture YOU?"
Me: "That's right, don't lecture me."

Then she came really close...

Lady: "Well I'm a cop and there's CCTV here and we'll find you.
Me: "OK."

Then she walked away along the footway. I went in the same direction, 30 seconds later and she bloody well spat at me. I'm really angry; okay I should have dismounted, but I also didn't have to give her the time of day. I did though and she took advantage.
Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    The Green Cross Code says her kids should look Left AND Right! Don't worry about it; we all make mistakes, and I'm afraid there are a lot of people out there whose lives are so sad and tedious that they have to make the best of other people's misfortunes. Would advise not to do it again though!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Report her for assualt!! Impersonating a police officer and a human being.

And tell her mother to be more careful next time Losing a leg is just bloody careless , Glasses down the sofa I can understand but a whole leg!!!!!!!

See the levels of stupidity you could have responded with, but as you were civil she choose to take advantage. at

If any one ( Woman aside) spat at me I would flatten them ( In over 30 years of playing football I ve been spat at twice and each time lead to a red card and an unconscious opponent)
  • Ben6899
    Thanks for the replies, chaps.

I certainly won't do it again and not because of impending encounters, but because it's against the law.

I think she thought I would just stand there and take it until she was out of steam. If you know London and I tell you where I was, then you'll understand entirely her attitude.

Onwards and upwards, I'm gonna crack a beer.

Tim, I agree re: spitting. Only one come back for that one!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Its what your drinks bottle is for - a nice squirt in the face and a cheery 'cool down' :)
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Its what your drinks bottle is for - a nice squirt in the face and a cheery 'cool down' :)

Oh yes!

I'm using that one!

but not before I've perfected my running bike mount so i can get a speedy getaway :mrgreen:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    That's sh*t Ben !

Ok, so you were in the wrong, but you realised that, admitted it and were cycling with caution, accordingly. What you should have done was asked for her ID as soon as she said that she was a cop.

Still, at least if she does report you, you can report her for assault and impersonating a police officer !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Would have dialled 999 there and then on the bitch.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    meh, some people are just twats (or had a bad day, or whatever). Shame that she's had a previous bad experience with a cyclist, that shouldn't affect her treatment of you but it did. At least you know you're the better person - you were in the wrong originally but at least you were sorry about it. If you ever see her again when she's in the wrong about something, cut her some slack - then gloat for the rest of time :D
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    Just laugh, the poor b1tch must be so miserable in her life that she has to act like that. Don't let them bother you, I used to get it all the time when I commuted on a bike path.
  • Ben6899
    Thanks for all the comments, chaps. Yep, I feel sorry for her really. Well, no not quite; I pity her.

"I'm a caaawp."

Hahahahahahahaha.
    Ben

• Mistake 1: engaging in a conversation - it never ends well.
  • Ben6899
    Mistake 1: engaging in a conversation - it never ends well.

I think, in hindsight, it was the best option. I am pretty certain she would have tried to push me off, if I hadn't stopped.
    Ben

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Mistake 1: engaging in a conversation - it never ends well.

I think, in hindsight, it was the best option. I am pretty certain she would have tried to push me off, if I hadn't stopped.

Sometimes you just can't win.

You did right and she just behaved like a twunt
  • TommyB61
    TommyB61 Posts: 103
    If, as she said, there's cctv there then she's pretty dim to have spat at you, 'cop' or not.

I bet she feels really proud of herself now, the twunt.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Oooh obviously a classy lady.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    What does 'cop' even mean in England, anyway?

A Copulator? I think you were in there mate.....
  • 20eyes
    20eyes Posts: 25
    She sounds like an idiot!!

But I think you handled it well, dont think I would have taken it so quietly.

Well done :)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    The ironic thing is, i know the road he is talking of and until now did not realise it was ONE way.

The amount of times cars have drove at me in the WRONG direction and i didn't even realise :shock:

"think i'll have a slow speed crash into them next time and have a no-win no fee lawyer on speed dial" :wink:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Would have dialled 999 there and then on the *****.
    Yer good idea

I did that when someone glared at me for overtaking a traffic queue on the inside and the police turned up pdq and prosecuted him - 10 years he got.
  • Phill B
    Phill B Posts: 71
    I can say with total honesty that i have never hit a woman in the 37 years i have been on this planet but had i been spat on/at i would have dismounted and slapped the whore sideways.
    Hills hurt but sofas kill.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Phill B wrote:
    I can say with total honesty that i have never hit a woman in the 37 years i have been on this planet but had i been spat on/at i would have dismounted and slapped the whore sideways.

thought she was a police woman? :)
  • Phill B
    Phill B Posts: 71
    I counldn`t give a monkeys if she was MI5, spitting at another person is so low and wrong it makes me feel sick.
    Hills hurt but sofas kill.