Hybrid V Cyclocross

Crouching Peeky
Crouching Peeky Posts: 90
edited December 2016 in Commuting general
Hi all, first post so be gentle and all that!

I'm in the process of getting a bike through Cyclescheme for my 28 mile round trip commute into the City. Route will be all roads. Will probably use the bike for a bit of a ride over the park with my young daughter also.

Anyway, my problem/question. I was all set to get the Trek FX 7.5 as the 2012 model is currently on sale at Evans for £580. Someone then mentioned to me that a cyclocross may be more suitable and pointed out the Whyte Kings Cross as an example. The bike is a bit more expensive, but would it be worth it?

I haven't ridden a bike since I was at school 17+ years ago and have never ridden with drop handles, although I do like the idea of being able to change riding position.

If you good folk could give me an idea of the pros and cons of each I'd be extremely grateful as the product specifications may as well be written in Russian to me at the moment.

Thanks in advance

CP

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    for 28 mile round trip I think you'd want drops. Although they take a short amount of time to get used to they really are very comfortable provided you dont go for a very aggressive geometry (like the pros for example). A cyclocross bike will not be very aggressive and so should be pretty comfortable to ride. You'll also have the benefit of being able to ride 'on the tops' 'on the hoods' and down in the drops so you can keep changing your position which is quite handy on a longer ride.

Also, with a cyclocross you can put some nice thin racey tyres on so that when you inevitably become hooked on road cycling you dont have to go out and buy a fancy carbon road bike - well not immediately anyway. :wink:
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    There's no 'right' or 'wrong' in to the question; its depends on two things really; What you want to use the bike for in the first place (you said commuting), and secondly, do you think your riding will expand and develop beyond commuting into something else, like regular road cycling, off-road, anything really. Hybrid bikes are absolutely fine for commuting and general transport; you only have to look at how many Specialized Sirrus' are out there to know that, and the Trek is undoubtably a decent bike. But if you start enjoying and getting into it, and want to ride at weekends etc, then it will not be long before a hybrid type bike will limit your options, whereas a Cyclocross, or even an all-out Road bike, will allow you to develop your riding and your fitness. There are so many decent bikes available now, for sensible money. Not all road bikes are serious racing machines; you can buy a sportive/touring type bike that will suit many types of riding. Take your time and have a think. Get a couple of back issues of Cycling plus and read some reviews, many of which are on this website too.

Good luck.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • What raymondo said about your needs developing is absolutely right.

Cycling that far on a decent hybrid is gonna make you really enjoy cycling. You will get fitter, stronger and faster on a bike. It is then you may decide that you want to do this more often as a leisure activity (Join a bike club, attend meets, compete in races)

That's when a hybrid looks out of place and you realise "I need a new bike"

I have never ridden a CX bike but they do look awesome and it sounds like it would fulfil all your needs for now. It will be quick and multi-terrain and could be tweaked to turn it roadie if you need it in the future.

So IMO you should decide whether you need a proper, drop barred road or CX bike.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I got a cyclocross bike through the cyclescheme, because some of my 26mile round trip commute was on the pavement. However I have now modified the route and do 100% on road and really wish I had just gone for a full road bike, as it has got me hooked. For that distance you will really appreciate the different positions drops gives you.
  • What raymondo said about your needs developing is absolutely right.

Cycling that far on a decent hybrid is gonna make you really enjoy cycling. You will get fitter, stronger and faster on a bike. It is then you may decide that you want to do this more often as a leisure activity (Join a bike club, attend meets, compete in races)

That's when a hybrid looks out of place and you realise "I need a new bike"

I have never ridden a CX bike but they do look awesome and it sounds like it would fulfil all your needs for now. It will be quick and multi-terrain and could be tweaked to turn it roadie if you need it in the future.

So IMO you should decide whether you need a proper, drop barred road or CX bike.

+1 for CX

I bought a Specialized Tricross on cyclescheme and as I've branched out into leisure and sportives, I've been able to upgrade it with better wheels and drive train. Its not an out and out road bike, but can hold its own on a sportive, is tough and can go places no road bike dare go!
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I bought a Specialized Tricross on cyclescheme and as I've branched out into leisure and sportives, I've been able to upgrade it with better wheels and drive train. Its not an out and out road bike, but can hold its own on a sportive, is tough and can go places no road bike dare go!

a bit off topic but I did exactly the same thing. So far I have only change the tyres but I'd be really interested to know what wheels you have fitted and what changes you've made to the drive train? I really want to go to 23c tyres but doubt the standard wheels will allow that.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Will probably use the bike for a bit of a ride over the park with my young daughter also.

This could change things. Over the grass, slow speeds, more bumpy terrain? This is where narrow bars and drops can get a bit twitchy. I have a bike built up for the road, bridleways and light off road:

zred-1.jpg

Handles far better than a CX bike for the more offroad oriented stuff, yet is still fast and comfortable on the road. Also have the option of fitting a light weight sus fork:

redzed.jpg

Next stop will be bar ends for more. At 21lbs is pretty light too. Ok was a custom build, but can get similar sort of stuff.

So as I started, need to decide just what that other part of the biking entails.
  • Thanks for the reponses. Having trawled through these boards decided to cut to the chase and go straight to a road bike. Will be getting the Trek 1.5 (once my cyclescheme vouchers comes through!)

Very excited by it now. Just want to start riding - although may feel differently after first commute!
  • I detect on the web in cycling forums snobbery towards hybrid bikes.
    I have a Boardman Team Hybrid.
    I have upgraded the drive train to XT derailleur and 11-36 cassette at the rear and up front 48/36/26 Deore with Ultegra derailleur.
    I went for this gearing as i use the bike for shopping and i carry my kid in a child seat up some serious hills, and also when i take off the child seat and panniers i have a 48 chain ring for road usage, and the 36 rear - 26 front is great for cyclocross style riding.

Added Shimano M324 mtb spd pedals so i can used normal shoes as well.

And added Tioga Powerstud 6 barends. These are really great. I have 4 positions to ride with and i can really stretch out holding the end of the bar ends.

Tyres, Continental cyclocross speed, awesome on road, around 340 grams, and on hard pack wet or dry the grip is amazing.

I can't see any reason why this bike would be slower than a cyclcross bike, or any less adaptable to off and on road.
    Without getting into a few millimetres geometry difference, the only difference really are different hand positions. My set-up has just as many as a cyclocross bike, just different, and i'd argue that a straight bar has more control on the twisty tricky off road stuff than drops.

It weighs just over 10kg, really flies on the road, the Powerstud bar ends give a great variety of grips and body position.

I rode a road bike 100+ miles a day as a courier in London for years, i like drop handle bars, just don't get why hybrids aren't appreciated.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Three posts, three awesome thread resurrections. If they haven't sorted bikes by now, they probably never will.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    No, Monster Cross
    http://www.gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-te ... ross-bike/
    a.k.a a 29er with drops or Jones bars or a cross with room for 2.1" tyres
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.