Gout

2»

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    A work colleague of mine got diagnosed with gout a few years ago and promptly told his doctor that couldn't be right as only fat old men get gout. The doctor responded there's a set of scales over there you stand on them and I'll look up your date of birth on your file. Ouch!

And if you want foot pain try policemans heel (Plantar Fasciitis) hurts a lot that does, although not as much Biliary colic (Gall stone blocking the cystic duct) which in turn is nothing compared to Acute cholecystitis with is when said stone(s) cause an infections in the Gall Bladder..... 4 days in hospital with that one.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    I thought cyclists were supposed to be healthy.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    To right! I'm not coming on this thread again in case I catch something.....
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Everyone appears to be riddled with something. Lucky for me I only have psoriasis and terrible spelin and gramer!

Get better soon people and stay healthy.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Pfft, try kidney stones for pain.

And then living with a stent between your kidney and bladder for 3 months and pi55ing blood on a daily basis!!

(Feels like the scene from Jaws when they are comparing scars!!) :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    notsoblue wrote:
    I've been laying off the starlings in aspic and after dinner port. So far so good.

It is absolutely brutal isnt it NSB. Did you cry? I'm not afraid to admit I cried. Actual pain cry like when you are a kid.

Unfortunately due to a pre-existing condition I get it quite alot. Booze doesnt help but it comes on every month or so. Generally only lasts a few days.

Oh man, you have my sympathies. It really is the most pain I've ever been in. What do you use during an attack, Indometacin? Mind if I ask what the pre-existing condition is? Theres no clear cause with mine...

I'm the same. I'm just getting over my fourth bout this year. Declofenac sodium seems to help for me but I too have failed miserably to isolate a specific trigger. I'm pretty sure getting dehydrated is part if the problem though.

I find the pain is very variable but once or twice I've been on the verge of panic with it.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Glad its not just me! Although sorry to hear you guys are suffering too. I was nearly in tears on my road home. Taking my sock off helped...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Glad its not just me! Although sorry to hear you guys are suffering too. I was nearly in tears on my road home. Taking my sock off helped...

You don't have to put up with that s***t, get on the allopurinol!

I had undiagnosed gout for years (young fit healthy man, doctor presumed I couldn't have gout, but I did), it stopped me cycling in the end, a few years later I was diagnosed (canadian doctor) I got on the allo and have never had an attack again, put my cycling career back 10 years it did.

For those that think it's not so bad, I know somebody who said he'd rather stop taking his heart attack pills than his allo as gout pain was far worst than his heart attack pain, and that was pretty bad, and I've read a lady's comment on a gour support group that said giving birth was less painful than a big gout attack...
  • prj45
    I find the pain is very variable but once or twice I've been on the verge of panic with it.

PP

Once again, f**k that s***t, allopurionol, sorted, you'll not have another attack again.
  • clarkey cat
    cheers - I will speak to my quack about that.

I might not mention the giving birth thing to my wife...
  • clarkey cat
    so in the middle of another attack. First flared up in my ankle and is now in my toe. Am off work which is pretty terrible as Ive just started a new job.

I've been prescribed Colchicine which is meant to clear the gout quite quickly (but gives you the runs, apparently) and then I'll go on to the Alluprinol. Cant take that now as it will actually make my current attack worse.

I used to get an attack once a year or so but my last one was in the Olympics so going to make more of a concerted effort to avoid this agony.
  • You know, pretty soon after reading this thread the first time, I contracted pleurisy. I've been off-colour for about two months now - still not right.

Thanks, chaps.
  • I contracted pleurisy.

Sorry to hear that UE. Isn't that why Scotsmen wear Wellies?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Anyone for rickets?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • so in the middle of another attack. First flared up in my ankle and is now in my toe. Am off work which is pretty terrible as Ive just started a new job.

I've been prescribed Colchicine which is meant to clear the gout quite quickly (but gives you the runs, apparently) and then I'll go on to the Alluprinol. Cant take that now as it will actually make my current attack worse.

I used to get an attack once a year or so but my last one was in the Olympics so going to make more of a concerted effort to avoid this agony.
    I now have an imagine of a man hopping frantically to the toilet and screaming.

Been on Allupurinol for a few years now. No attacks. Sometimes I get a twinge if I've forgotten it for a couple of days and I've been feeling dehydrated in the morning IYKWIM.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    goutpal.com

My father-in-law runs this website. It's amazing how much poor and misleading information there is about gout, (obviously not on this site), a lot of it being passed on by GPs who should know better. Check out the site the answers you need to control your pain and to treat the gout should be on there.
  • prj45
    Boy Lard wrote:
    goutpal.com

My father-in-law runs this website. It's amazing how much poor and misleading information there is about gout, (obviously not on this site), a lot of it being passed on by GPs who should know better. Check out the site the answers you need to control your pain and to treat the gout should be on there.

This is very good advice, cuts through the myth (perpetuated by shite GPs) that gout is caused by bad eating, i's not, it's caused by having gout.

http://www.goutpal.com/gout-diet/gout-foods/
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I had an attack of the vapours, got much better after I stole India for a couple of hundred years.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    My turn for pleurisy, got diagnosed yesterday :-( Don't feel too bad apart from feeling like I've been stabbed in between my shoulderblades. Reading this thread is obviously not good for your health.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    prj45 wrote:
    Boy Lard wrote:
    goutpal.com

This is very good advice, cuts through the myth (perpetuated by shite GPs) that gout is caused by bad eating, i's not, it's caused by having gout.

+1. My high uric acid levels are an inherited metabolic dysfunction. My mother and brother also suffer. The solution is daily Allopurinol at a dosage to bring the uric acid levels to the lower parts of the normal range. My dosage is quite high (400mg per day) but so was the uric acid :-(.

My basic understanding is that the Allopurinol causes the uric acid to be metabolised in a different way. Bit of a pest to take medication daily but I haven't had an acute gout attack since Allopurinol was prescribed.

Best regards
    David
    Boardman CX Team
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Boy Lard wrote:
    goutpal.com

Nice site.

The two GP's at my local surgery that saw me when I had my last attack were quick to diagnose but really didn't give much insight into the causes or future preventative measures other than to keep hydrated and to take Indomethacin if I I felt an attack coming on. I had a blood test, but everything came back normal. Its a bit unsettling because with no clearly identified cause, and recurring inflammation, it looks like its just a chronic condition I'm going to have to deal with indefinitely. Luckily, serious gout attacks are rare for me, but its still a bit of a worry.
  • clarkey cat
    Boy Lard wrote:
    goutpal.com

Thanks this is a really interesting site.

Had another attack on Monday, limping alot but by Tuesday was bed-bound. Absolutely agonising. Took some colcichine to clear it (very effective!) but am off work now with terrible guts.

I'm really having terrible luck on the bike at the moment. Every time I decide to get some miles down something like this happens. :(