Viking Giro D'Italia

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited December 2013 in Your road bikes
My Viking Giro D'Italia (2011) 59cm

Very cheap, basic components, but (in my opinion) still a pretty decent bike! Certainly for the price (£200).

Non-Standard components - San Marco SPID saddle, Poly bottle cages.

Weight - around 13KG but not sure (haven't properly weighed it yet).

VikingGiro.jpg

What do you guys think?

Hope I kept to the OCP rules! :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    declan1 wrote:
    Hope I kept to the OCP rules! :)

Lordy no! Drive side pedal needs to be down, reflectors and cassette 'dork' disc off the wheels and the valves should be at 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock. But on this one as they line up unhelpfully with the stickers maybe just aving the stickers aligned to top dead centre would be OK!

Happy pedalling!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Saddle looks ALONG way forward, but for te money looks like a nice bike! If your out on the road that's what's important
  • declan1
    edited August 2012
    Russyh wrote:
    Saddle looks ALONG way forward, but for te money looks like a nice bike! If your out on the road that's what's important

Yeah the saddle is as far forward as it can be. I don't know whether the frame is too big, but I feel like I'm stretching too much when I put it back. I'm really impressed with this bike for £200. I mean, you can barely get a cheapish MTB from Halfords for that price. I have tried various mid-range bikes like a Cube Aerial and a Giant Defy 2 and apart from weight and brake performance I can't really notice any differences....

And as you said, being out on it and enjoying every minute is what it's all about!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    If you are stretched out you'd do better to get a shorter stem than moving the saddle forward. A cheap and easy switch.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    We are, all missing the point here. £200 bike, nice one enjoy, looks great.

Did you see the Vikings (Which used to belong to Sir Jimmy Saville, that Planet X won at auction this week/)
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The stem doesn't look too bad but the bars look really long - the brakes are a long way out.

I agree that you shouldn't mess with the saddle to fix a reach problem - you only move the saddle to get your knee position right.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • declan1
    k-dog wrote:
    The stem doesn't look too bad but the bars look really long - the brakes are a long way out.

I agree that you shouldn't mess with the saddle to fix a reach problem - you only move the saddle to get your knee position right.

I really want to change the bars to the shallower curved ones that you find on most bikes today, like the ones on this lovely bike:

th_Dogma_Giro%20D'Italia.JPG.

They look really comfy and not as far to reach. I also agree that the brakes are too far away. I might get some new levers with bigger hoods sometimes aswell.

My knee position feels perfect at the current saddle position. I like the feeling of 'pushing' on the pedals rather than 'pulling'. Hard to describe but think of the difference between a MTB and a road bike.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Thry unwrapping the tape, rotating the bars down then moving the shifters up.

The bars look really long.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    NapoleonD wrote:

+1 to this

bars need rotating down, move the shifters up
  • declan1
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

+1 to this

How much? Do you reckon until the bottom of the bars is level?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    tim wand wrote:
    We are, all missing the point here. £200 bike, nice one enjoy, looks great.

Did you see the Vikings (Which used to belong to Sir Jimmy Saville, that Planet X won at auction this week/)

Never knew he rode in the tour of Britain! Bike looks like a bargain, should be loads of bars and stems for sale om here to sort you out with :wink:
  • declan1
    Just ordered a pair of Shimano 520 SPD pedals and a pair of cheap shoes, so can't wait to try them out! I do intend to upgrade the shoes in the far future, if you're wondering :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I'm running 520's, very good for the money, you can't go wrong with them
  • declan1
    Just went out for my first ride with pedals + shoes and my average speed increased by 1MPH! I'm very impressed with them. Clipping in and out is so easy compared with the toe cages, and I can feel the connection with my bike now!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    declan1 wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

+1 to this

How much? Do you reckon until the bottom of the bars is level?

Loosen the bars, sit on the bike (preferably with someone holding it up) hold the bars in the drops and rotate them until you are comfortable. Tighten the bars back up. Then you adjust the shifters so they are comfortable...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I saw someone on one of these today. First time I've ever seen someone else on a Viking bike. Their Viking was loads quieter than mine. You can hear the £10 groupset crunching a mile off normally.
  • declan1
    I swapped the stem for my mountain bike one today; it's much better (shorter) - I don't have to reach quite as much!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• imsimon
    imsimon Posts: 181
    for £200 you appear to of grabbed a bargin! very nice and good luck with the upgrades to make it your own!
  • declan1
    imsimon wrote:
    for £200 you appear to of grabbed a bargin! very nice and good luck with the upgrades to make it your own!

Thanks!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• indjke
    indjke Posts: 85
    Wow! A bit "oldskool" but no doubt is the pleasure for the eyes)
    Gratz from another black-yellow-scheme addict :mrgreen:
    Boardman Team C / 105 / Fulcrum Racing 3
  • Try bars with a shorter reach and a shorter stem in the region of 80-90mm? Putting the seat forward might help with reach but you can do damage to your knee if you're not in the right position with knee over toes..
  • declan1
    I've actually fitted a shorter stem since taking that picture and it's much improved! Also got new seatpost in the post so that should sort out my knee over pedal position ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• i`ve been riding one of these for about a year or so and it`s a cracking wee bike. However, thanks to the bike 2 work scheme, I`ve up-graded to a Cannondale Synapse lol. I now have a Viking Giro d`Italia for sale!