Steel framed Bike, what do you think/

bluedog99
bluedog99 Posts: 183
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi, first post on the forum. I currently have a 1996 Dawes Galaxy which i use for commuting and slow rides at weekend. I am looking to buy another bike that is also made of steel but lighter than my Galaxy. The bike will be used for roads only and will not need any racks, as it is basically a day ride bike only. I do not want a full on race bike, but something a bit more relaxed geometry that will possibly take up to 28mm tyres and mudguards although this may not be essential. I have looked at the Salsa Casseroll and the Condor Fratello. What do you think and what would you recommend, also do you have any experience of the the two bikes i have mentioned/ Thanks for any advice.
Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.

Comments

• ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    It depends on your budget, but you could talk to a frame builder such as Brian Rourke and get something bespoke to your needs. Bit of added cost and time delay for a build, but you would have something built just for you and to last your lifetime.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    You would be best off looking on ebay for a frame and building one. If you want to buy new then I would recomend something like Roberts who make very nice frames/bikes. They could do a custom build for you also for more money. Basically anything Reynolds 531/853/753 or newer 953 tubing (prob not that cheap!) you cant go wrong.
  • vinnn
    vinnn Posts: 62
    For the 'more affordable' end of the budget scale check out the Kona Honky Tonk (I've had one, great bike that accommodates upto 32mm tires), I can also recommend Ridgeback as I commute about 25-30 miles a day on a 'Solo World' and I've never had a bike better designed for purpose straight out of the box. Genesis also make the Equilibrium which is a Reynolds 725 all-day bike.

hth
  • Gladiator
    Gladiator Posts: 75
    Cycling Plus this month have a group test of steel bikes across the price range, try and get a copy.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Hewitt and Thorn also make very nice steel bikes, aimed more at the Audax rider. Perfect for nice long day rides.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    You need to specify a budget.

As well as the review in Cycling Plus (I haven't seen it) the latest CTC mag reviewed the Dawes Clubman and a Ridgeback (the Mercury?).

If it were me and it is around your budget then i would favour the Genesis Equilibrium. Any bike designed for 57mm drop brakes should fit 28mm and 'guards.
  • bluedog99
    Thanks for the replies and sorry about the delay in replying, the joys of shiftwork! My budget would be £1500 absolute max so a custom made is not in my budget. I have looked at the Genesis Equilibrium and it looks a great bike for the price, i read somewhere that the bars are set very low and could not be raised, any advice on that would be welcome. I will check out the Kona and other bikes mentioned, Thanks again.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bluedog99 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies and sorry about the delay in replying, the joys of shiftwork! My budget would be £1500 absolute max so a custom made is not in my budget. I have looked at the Genesis Equilibrium and it looks a great bike for the price, i read somewhere that the bars are set very low and could not be raised, any advice on that would be welcome. I will check out the Kona and other bikes mentioned, Thanks again.

You should be able to get a custom Bob Jackson for that money. I was quoted about £600 a couple of years ago - but the wait was too long. May be different now.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bluedog99
    Thanks for that Rolf, i will have a look at the website. Cheers.
  • Kaffenback
  • bluedog99
    Checked out the Bob Jackson and planet x but they only offer tyh frames noy complete bikes, cheers for the replies.