Forum home Mountain biking forum The Crudcatcher

Mars Landing on Sunday

cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
edited August 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Complete with farking lasers to zap the martians.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/sp ... 56595904/1

"During its two-year exploration, the plutonium-powered Curiosity will climb the lower mountain flanks to probe the deposits. As sophisticated as the rover is, it cannot search for life. Instead, it carries a toolbox including a power drill, rock-zapping laser and mobile chemistry lab to sniff for organic compounds, considered the chemical building blocks of life. It also has cameras to take panoramic photos."
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Posts

  • sheepsteethsheepsteeth Posts: 17,418 Webster
    cooldad wrote:
    it carries a toolbox including a power drill, rock-zapping laser and mobile chemistry lab to sniff for organic compounds, considered the chemical building blocks of life. It also has cameras to take panoramic photos."

    thats like my cake.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,904
    cooldad wrote:
    it carries a toolbox including a power drill, rock-zapping laser and mobile chemistry lab to sniff for organic compounds, considered the chemical building blocks of life. It also has cameras to take panoramic photos."

    thats like my cake.
    Sounds more like your pimp.
    I don't do smileys.

    There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

    London Calling on Facebook

    Parktools
  • AbraAbra Posts: 338
    The future direction of Mars exploration is hanging on the outcome of this $2.5 billion science project. It takes 14 minutes for radio signals on Mars to travel to Earth.

    That’s $178,571,428 per minute for an outcome that will be...
    alive or dead by the time mission control finds out

    :shock: :shock: :shock:


    That’s an expensive test. I tried to see how many Marshmallows I could get in my mouth once... that cost £1.27
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • YeehaaMcgeeYeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    plutonium-powered Curiosity will climb the lower mountain flanks to probe the deposits
    THAT'S like my heckler.
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,416
    cooldad wrote:
    Complete with farking lasers to zap the martians.
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/sp ... 56595904/1

    "During its two-year exploration, the plutonium-powered Curiosity will climb the lower mountain flanks to probe the deposits. As sophisticated as the rover is, it cannot search for life. Instead, it carries a toolbox including a power drill, rock-zapping laser and mobile chemistry lab to sniff for organic compounds, considered the chemical building blocks of life. It also has cameras to take panoramic photos."

    300px-NASA_Mars_Rover.jpg

    That's like your car that is, numb nuts.
  • Chunkers1980Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's MARS backwards?
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,416
    What's MARS backwards?

    628x471.jpg
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    It's no good unless it has sharks in there to operate the frickin lasers.

    Anyway, what odds on this actually landing okay? There are so many crazy things it needs to do on the way down and so many potential failures.

    And that's assuming they've not confused their metric and imperial measurements.
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    deadkenny wrote:
    Anyway, what odds on this actually landing okay? There are so many crazy things it needs to do on the way down and so many potential failures.

    They seem reasonably confident... Sure it's a complicated lander, but that could work out better than the Spirit/Opportunity method- "Wrap it in balloons and chuck it at the ground, from space, see what happens".
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibumpaul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Northwind wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:
    Anyway, what odds on this actually landing okay? There are so many crazy things it needs to do on the way down and so many potential failures.

    They seem reasonably confident... Sure it's a complicated lander, but that could work out better than the Spirit/Opportunity method- "Wrap it in balloons and chuck it at the ground, from space, see what happens".

    I seem to remember doing that with an egg in secondary school. Didnt work then either.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp censored .
  • schmakoschmako Posts: 1,982
    I see there is a live stream of it on the xbox dashboard tonight, I do believe its on around 3am though :(
  • fibrefibre Posts: 20
    watched it take off whilst on holiday in Florida, thinking about watching it land..... but 3am is a little harsh
  • AbraAbra Posts: 338
    673560main_msl5_full.jpg


    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOYARRRRR ! Touchdown...... :D

    And some 'space geeks' as the Sun newspaper aptly named them. :roll:

    673507main_cheering-full_full.jpg
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    Well from those images I'm not convinced. Could be anywhere.

    I wanted spectacular footage of the crane crazyness, awesome martian landscapes and a martian as well!
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 15,475
    Yeah. But. If they'd had footage of the skycrane in action then there'd be a few other questions needing answered...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbumVWsurfbum Posts: 7,959
    Abra wrote:
    673560main_msl5_full.jpg
    Obviously fake! as even i know mars is RED!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • FocusZing wrote:
    300px-NASA_Mars_Rover.jpg


    And in 2 years time it'll be on e-Bay Autos

    'One careful owner, low mileage - buyer collects'
  • Don't know what all the high-5ing is all about, it's not exactly rocket science is it.
  • YeehaaMcgeeYeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Don't know what all the high-5ing is all about, it's not exactly brain surgery is it.
    Fixed it for you.
  • sandy hillsandy hill Posts: 390
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Abra wrote:
    673560main_msl5_full.jpg
    Obviously fake! as even i know mars is RED!

    That's my driveway that is.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • welshkevwelshkev Posts: 9,690
    the first pics are back anyway:

    martian_revolt1.jpg
  • VWsurfbumVWsurfbum Posts: 7,959
    :lol::lol: Love it, even the martians hate Americans!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
Sign In or Register to comment.