Mars Landing on Sunday

cooldad
cooldad Posts: 32,599
edited August 2012 in The Crudcatcher
Complete with farking lasers to zap the martians.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/sp ... 56595904/1

"During its two-year exploration, the plutonium-powered Curiosity will climb the lower mountain flanks to probe the deposits. As sophisticated as the rover is, it cannot search for life. Instead, it carries a toolbox including a power drill, rock-zapping laser and mobile chemistry lab to sniff for organic compounds, considered the chemical building blocks of life. It also has cameras to take panoramic photos."
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Comments

• sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    cooldad wrote:
    it carries a toolbox including a power drill, rock-zapping laser and mobile chemistry lab to sniff for organic compounds, considered the chemical building blocks of life. It also has cameras to take panoramic photos."

thats like my cake.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    cooldad wrote:
    it carries a toolbox including a power drill, rock-zapping laser and mobile chemistry lab to sniff for organic compounds, considered the chemical building blocks of life. It also has cameras to take panoramic photos."

thats like my cake.
    Sounds more like your pimp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    The future direction of Mars exploration is hanging on the outcome of this $2.5 billion science project. It takes 14 minutes for radio signals on Mars to travel to Earth.

That’s $178,571,428 per minute for an outcome that will be...
    alive or dead by the time mission control finds out

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That’s an expensive test. I tried to see how many Marshmallows I could get in my mouth once... that cost £1.27
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    plutonium-powered Curiosity will climb the lower mountain flanks to probe the deposits
    THAT'S like my heckler.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    cooldad wrote:
    Complete with farking lasers to zap the martians.
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/sp ... 56595904/1

"During its two-year exploration, the plutonium-powered Curiosity will climb the lower mountain flanks to probe the deposits. As sophisticated as the rover is, it cannot search for life. Instead, it carries a toolbox including a power drill, rock-zapping laser and mobile chemistry lab to sniff for organic compounds, considered the chemical building blocks of life. It also has cameras to take panoramic photos."

300px-NASA_Mars_Rover.jpg

That's like your car that is, numb nuts.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What's MARS backwards?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    What's MARS backwards?

628x471.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's no good unless it has sharks in there to operate the frickin lasers.

Anyway, what odds on this actually landing okay? There are so many crazy things it needs to do on the way down and so many potential failures.

And that's assuming they've not confused their metric and imperial measurements.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    deadkenny wrote:
    Anyway, what odds on this actually landing okay? There are so many crazy things it needs to do on the way down and so many potential failures.

They seem reasonably confident... Sure it's a complicated lander, but that could work out better than the Spirit/Opportunity method- "Wrap it in balloons and chuck it at the ground, from space, see what happens".
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Northwind wrote:
    deadkenny wrote:

They seem reasonably confident... Sure it's a complicated lander, but that could work out better than the Spirit/Opportunity method- "Wrap it in balloons and chuck it at the ground, from space, see what happens".

I seem to remember doing that with an egg in secondary school. Didnt work then either.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I see there is a live stream of it on the xbox dashboard tonight, I do believe its on around 3am though :(
  • fibre
    fibre Posts: 20
    watched it take off whilst on holiday in Florida, thinking about watching it land..... but 3am is a little harsh
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    673560main_msl5_full.jpg

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOYARRRRR ! Touchdown...... :D

And some 'space geeks' as the Sun newspaper aptly named them. :roll:

673507main_cheering-full_full.jpg
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well from those images I'm not convinced. Could be anywhere.

I wanted spectacular footage of the crane crazyness, awesome martian landscapes and a martian as well!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yeah. But. If they'd had footage of the skycrane in action then there'd be a few other questions needing answered...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Abra wrote:
    673560main_msl5_full.jpg
    Obviously fake! as even i know mars is RED!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • FocusZing wrote:
    300px-NASA_Mars_Rover.jpg

And in 2 years time it'll be on e-Bay Autos

'One careful owner, low mileage - buyer collects'
  • Don't know what all the high-5ing is all about, it's not exactly rocket science is it.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Don't know what all the high-5ing is all about, it's not exactly brain surgery is it.
    Fixed it for you.
  • sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Abra wrote:
    673560main_msl5_full.jpg
    Obviously fake! as even i know mars is RED!

That's my driveway that is.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    the first pics are back anyway:

martian_revolt1.jpg
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    :lol::lol: Love it, even the martians hate Americans!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty