Strava Virgin

nax-ian
nax-ian Posts: 209
edited August 2012 in Road general
Tryin to get to grips with this Strava thing, but where I live no one to swap notes with.
Do you have to start an stop manually for each segment that is already logged in your specific area? Or does the gps function kinda lock on for you to the segment your about to ride? Like if you don't press "end ride" when you've finished the segment, are you still being timed?

Turns out there's a coupla norwegian tourists been TT 'ing some of my local climbs, so gotta show 'em who' s boss!!
Cheers
Finished

Comments

• Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    No need to stop-start; that would defeat the object. Just press go, it'll track your whole ride (until you run out of battery...) and at the end you'll see which segments you went along.

Sometimes it won't pick up that you did one. This will invariably be on a day when you were smashing all records and would have been KOM. Sometimes the GPS trace will show that you went into a field for 100m. Almost always your top speed will be barely credible. All of these things are normal :)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    One track recorded was 10m off the road - before coming back into sync with the map a few miles up the road - this meant that the segment wasn't met ..
  • nax-ian
    @ gizmo, so will it select and single? separate out the already mapped segments, say if I try an do 2 or 3 in the same ride?
    Finished
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    You just ride - recording your track with GPS or Phone - after your ride you can upload your track to Strava and it will work out what segments you've ridden...
    You can then add some yourself if there are none on a particular area you want to track.
  • Gizmo_
    Nax-ian wrote:
    @ gizmo, so will it select and single? separate out the already mapped segments, say if I try an do 2 or 3 in the same ride?
    Yes, exactly. Take this for example, my usual commute: http://app.strava.com/rides/14833841

I know where segments are (they show up as green-shaded on the trace), so if I'm in the mood I'll give it some welly on those sections.
  • nax-ian
    Cheers fellas. gonna go an destroy those times, as soon as this bloody wind goes!!
    Finished
  • Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Nax-ian wrote:
    Yes, exactly. Take this for example, my usual commute: http://app.strava.com/rides/14833841

I know where segments are (they show up as green-shaded on the trace), so if I'm in the mood I'll give it some welly on those sections.

Ah, you ride quite a few of the same segments as me!
  • Gizmo_
    Neil McC wrote:
    But probably slower. :D
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Nax-ian wrote:
    Cheers fellas. gonna go an destroy those times, as soon as this bloody wind goes!!

haha spoken like a true noob -to get KOM,s the wind is your friend. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Neil McC wrote:
    But probably slower. :D
    LOL! You end up competing with people you have never met, and who you never knew you were racing them., and every so often you get an email saying "Damonthedarkdestroyer" has just taken your KOM on a bit of road you did. 2 years ago. :)

It does change your riding though, and as long as segments are safely placed, not across junctions and traffic lights, I think it motivates to improve the quality of your everyday rides...

Now what we are working on is a Garmin that auto magically picks up your Strava start and finishes points live, like a virtual partner when you are out.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • lakeland
    lakeland Posts: 76
    I'd quite like to see a dedicated Strava GPS device, that would be sweet!
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Almost always your top speed will be barely credible.

So, are you saying I probably didn't hit 14,331.2 mph on my ride on Saturday?

Rob
  • Ber Nard wrote:
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    Almost always your top speed will be barely credible.

So, are you saying I probably didn't hit 14,331.2 mph on my ride on Saturday?

Rob

not unless you were getting a tow from this...