Vuelta Espana 2012

13»

Comments

• I'll be cheering for Froome, but looking forward to de Gendt too after his performance in the Giro.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Rjp_leeds wrote:
    What is the TV coverage likely to be like on this? Eurosport appear to be showing an hour or two live in the afternoons.

Does anyone know if ITV4 will be covering it?

Yes - highlights confirmed:-

Thank you for your recent email to ITV Viewer Services regarding the La
    Vuelta a Espana.

I am pleased to advise that we have been able to secure the broadcast
    rights to the highlights this fixture.

There will be a one hour highlights programme on ITV4 commencing on
    Saturday 18th August at 20:00.

We only see schedule information for up to 10 days in advance so I can
    only confirm the time for Saturday. Please check your TV listing guide
    or EPG for subsequent days.

More details to follow I guess...
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Strong squad from Sky http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/froome-leads-strong-sky-team-at-vuelta-a-espaa-34876/

Thought this team may have done a lot of racing this year already, but after checking CQ looks like they'll end up with seasons similar to most others they've done. Stannard will have done more than his fair whack of racing by the end of the Vuelta though.
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Interesting that Euskaltel are taking their only 2 non-Spanish riders.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Good news for those of us who can't watch live - ITV to show highlights.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/534303/itv-to-show-vuelta-highlights.html
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Valverde has opted to race
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Hopefully Roche will have team mates who actually bother to do something atal...I forget they were even in the Tour nearly!
  • frenchfighter
    Confirmed for Saxo:

Alberto Contador
    Jesus Hernandez
    Rafal Majka
    Daniel Navarro
    Benjamin Noval
    Sergio Paulinho
    Bruno Pires
    Nicki Sørensen
    Matteo Tosatto
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Big J-Rod went toe-to-toe in the Giro and is back to swing it out again the the Spanish mountains. Heavyweight.

Pavel Brutt, Xavier Florencio, Mikhail Ignatyev, Alberto Losada, Denis Menchov, Daniel Moreno, Joaquim Rodriguez, Gatis Smukulis, and Angel Vicioso
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Going to be a great battle this Vuelta I think. Chris Froome Vs Alberto Contador. Foresee serious amounts of attacks by those two and two up battles between them for the summits
  • When last I checked it wasn't clear how extensive the Eurosport live coverage was going to be. Any details?
  • frenchfighter
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Going to be a great battle this Vuelta I think. Chris Froome Vs Alberto Contador. Foresee serious amounts of attacks by those two and two up battles between them for the summits

It's Froome's chance to show he is not all talk and posturing. He better not come up with some lame excuses if he fails.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,801
    When last I checked it wasn't clear how extensive the Eurosport live coverage was going to be. Any details?
    Should be the standard affair.

More or less as much as the Giro.
  • Dave_1 wrote:

It's Froome's chance to show he is not all talk and posturing. He better not come up with some lame excuses if he fails.

Is being knackered from the Tour & Olympics a lame excuse? Your hero couldn't manage Giro / Tour last year with a much bigger rest period between the two races
  • frenchfighter
    No it isnt. Supposedly he was soft pedalling around France waiting for Wiggins...

You can't knock Contador's palmares. Best stage race rider this decade, sorry.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Can't see it being close TBH.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,952
    Looking forward to seeing J Rod in action again.

Missed him.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No it isnt. Supposedly he was soft pedalling around France waiting for Wiggins...

I'm not knocking his palmares. Just trying to point out that we shouldn't necessarilly expect Froome to be in his best form so soon after the Tour / Olympics.
  • rick_chasey
    No it isnt. Supposedly he was soft pedalling around France waiting for Wiggins...

I'm not knocking his palmares. Just trying to point out that we shouldn't necessarilly expect Froome to be in his best form so soon after the Tour / Olympics.

Wouldn't say the olmypics would take anything out of him.

That he had to hold his form for a little longer maybe, but I doubt it'd have made much difference.

TdF - sure, he'll feel that and we'll see that in his legs.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I don't think he was knocking Bert, just saying it can happen to anyone.
  • frenchfighter
    Vacansoleil-DCM team for la Vuelta a España
    Thomas De Gendt, Martijn Keizer. Sergey Lagutin, Pim Ligthart, Bert-Jan Lindeman, Tomasz Marczynski, Wouter Mol, Rob Ruijgh and Rafael Valls
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    “We’ve often been asked when Alberto will take the lead at the Vuelta but I don’t think it’s in our interest to have the red jersey too early,” said directeur sportif Bradley McGee. “Knowing Alberto, he’ll take it when it comes. He just loves to race. But we just have to concentrate on final details, stay focused all the way and recover when we can.

“There’s no way we’ll envisage by how much he’ll win the Vuelta,” he continued. “This is what makes it difficult to win. I guess Chris Froome will be the main rival. Our advantage will be that even Sky, with all their strength, would have a hard time dominating two Grand Tours the same year. However, I don’t think the challenge will come from individuals riding for GC, but from riders who have nothing to lose.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    So four Dutch riders on Garmin's team, including Dekker, not ridden a GT since 2007.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    I see the Vuelta is on ITV4 again. please god dont let it be that Aussie Matt Keenan commentating....he must be australia's answer to Stephen Merchant.