What was missing from the Olympic ceremony?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited August 2012 in The bottom bracket
Well, we had it all: Feudalism, the industrial revolution, two dubblya dubblyas, even migrant West Indian Workers, but did we?
(I know Cleat - Eccles Cakes, now you'll have to think of something original, so pah :P )

There was no:
Claire Balding
Slaves been dragged in all chained up
The end of the GLC
Plumes of clouds of various imported spices...
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Drat, you mentioned my wish list.

Del Boy, no del boy. And no Bargain Booze and kids with white lightning.....and where oh where were the lesbians having a go on each other - ok its nothing specific to the UK but I dream about them every day. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    200 odd poles holding up those petals and not one dancer.
  • Tits. There were no tits.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    I thought a Kate and Pippa Middleton striptease at the end would have finished it off nicely with a bit of naked mud wrestling thrown in for good measure
  • Rigga
    Tits. There were no tits.

Didn't you see David Cameron?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I thought it was great. The GOSH bit about the NHS seemed a little random and disjointed.. but apart from that it wasn't missing much.

It even had bikes.

If you were to push me for an answer though.. i would say Muse. Muse should have played live.
  • Rigga

If you were to push me for an answer though.. i would say Muse. Muse should have played live.

Or Kasabian.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Elton John is quite a british musical institution.....
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,546
    coriordan wrote:
    Elton John is quite a british musical institution.....

The real Queen had already stolen the show.

The real theme I would have gone with is communication - the british invented modern communications from the chronometer to the railways, to telephone, to radio, to television, to Turing's computer, to the world wide web to Sir Jonathan Ive's iProducts.

A nod was given to the www but not the great british inventions that led up to it.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    We had The Shire, Mordor, some Orcs (sort of), and the Flame blatently looks like The Eye of Sauron from the camera angle they're using for backgrounds on their monitors. All we needed was McKellen and Lee to light it.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    snip....snip.. i would say Muse. Muse should have played live.

Was has happened to the Official Song - I thought it would have been all over the BBC coverage like a rash....
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Heather Mills parachuting into the stadium, taking her leg off and smashing the 5hi7 out of here ex hubby in an attempt to shut the old, over-rated fook wit up! He spoilt that ceremony for me.

Should of got Elbow/Kasabian/Muse/Coldplay/Keane/(even)Take That/anyone that isn't Paul McCuntney.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    At least it had Frank Turner as a warm up act, and I've never met a bad Frank yet. :wink::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Glam Rock
    Acid House

Dickens
    WW2 (prob a bit un-PC)

Biffy Clyro live
  • jordan_217
    At least it had Frank Turner as a warm up act, and I've never met a bad Frank yet. :wink::lol:

One springs to mind :wink:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Spitfires, it would definitely have benefited from the inclusion of Spitfires :D:D
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    Glam Rock
    Acid House

It had that, great big Ziggy faces, a huge smiley made up of dancers and numerous other references. A lot of it was blink and you'll miss it.

1304293_M01.jpg
    2012-07-27T210915Z_1822147480_LM2E87R1MR4EP_RTRMADP_3_OLY-OPEN-CEREMONY-DAY0-ACT1.jpg
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    WTF was that NHS segment all about? If you're gonna have nurses they have to be scantilly clad and chased around by Benny Hill.

That's what was missing; a great big chase scene with nurses, coppers, Benny Hill and a short bald man. And the comedy backing track
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    We were aiming for quintessentially British. So where were:

- the Old Navy ships sinking the Spanish Armada?
    - the Spitfires shooting down the Messerschmidts?
    - the Harriers shooting down some Skyhawks?

The shot down planes could have fallen to earth and resulting explosion, fuelled by Spanish timbers, lit the Olympic torch.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    jordan_217 wrote:

Bloody 'ell I didn't relize we'd met, or is my paranoia showing again? :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 wrote:

Bloody 'ell I didn't relize we'd met, or is my paranoia showing again? :lol:

Look I was young and needed the money, I thought we agreed on 'that' night not to speak of it again?!
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I thought they could've resurrected Freddie. No matter what you think of him, he would have been the highlight of the show (although his allegedly enormous drug consumption may have been at odds with WADA)
  • neilo23
    (Mercury, not Trueman)
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Penicillin.
    Gin and tonic.
    Jeremy Kyle.
    Bernard Matthews legacy.
    Gayness.
    RAF personnel in step (Crab air nobheads)
    Paul Raymond.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    A dole queue
    Some burnt out cars
    A fake Woolworths with kids nicking stuff

Sorry folks but I'm from East London!!

Seriously though I thought the ceremony was excellent overall
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    Bruce Forsyth & his chin
  • neilo23
    Penicillin.
    Gin and tonic.
    Jeremy Kyle.
    Bernard Matthews legacy.
    Gayness.
    RAF personnel in step (Crab air nobheads)
    Paul Raymond.

To paraphrase :

G & T: Queen mum pissed with her skirt pulled up decking..
    ....Jeremy Kyle: The bad word for the above exposed thingy
    Bernard Matthew's legacy: The slobs that Saint Jamie didn't convert, doing the (turkey) twizz
    Gayness: Could have been gayer. A bit of Bo Rhap wasn't really enough to show that we are a VERY and proudly gay nation (compared to other countries). Our gay icons are loved by straight people!
    RAF: The Red Arrows could've cut the overlong industrial revolution bit short
    Paul Raymond: Hundreds of men who were teenagers in 1990 waving his publications in the air (does anyone under 30 know who he is? Thanks for Jo Guest, Paul!)
  • CrunchyToes
    CrunchyToes Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • CrunchyToes
    CrunchyToes Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • milleman
    milleman Posts: 181
    The slightest interest?