Getting to and watching the Olympic TT

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Hope Rick doesn't mind a separate topic for spectator issues rather than actual race talk...

I've just suddenly decided today that I'd quite like to go and watch the TT. Don't know Surrey at all. I'm torn at the moment between getting the train down from Coventry to Hampton Court Palace, or driving down to Surrey and cycling in the last 10-20 miles, probably to the north end of the course.

So, any tips or suggestions of a good place to watch, or places to park the car if I go that route? I'm looking for somewhere that might not be too packed where I have access to a coffee shop or a pub or something ideally. Any other suggestions on best way to get there?

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Hope Rick doesn't mind a separate topic for spectator issues rather than actual race talk...

I've just suddenly decided today that I'd quite like to go and watch the TT. Don't know Surrey at all. I'm torn at the moment between getting the train down from Coventry to Hampton Court Palace, or driving down to Surrey and cycling in the last 10-20 miles, probably to the north end of the course.

So, any tips or suggestions of a good place to watch, or places to park the car if I go that route? I'm looking for somewhere that might not be too packed where I have access to a coffee shop or a pub or something ideally. Any other suggestions on best way to get there?

You can watch from near and in a bike shop in Hampton Wick. And its an awesome bike shop. Sigma Sport are doing a TT day. Check this out:

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/news/olympic_time_trial

Bike parking on site if you're early enough.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    Am heading for Esher, from central London, following a National Express bus down from Midlands (no cheap train fares by time I decided to travel - this morning!). Chose Esher pretty much at random. It seems to have some nice pubs, and the TT passes on the way out and way back.

Car/bike may be a good option, but the way the route goes suggests need to leave car quite a way out - unless someone knows different.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    I am going to either go to Sigma Sports or watch from Kingston Town Centre near the bridge. Probably go to Sigma Sports though - thanks so much for sharing that link Timoid.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Probably going to cycle down to the south end of the route where it crosses the A3. 10 miles each way should be more or less bearable on nobbly tyres. Would imagine that crowds would be a lot lighter on a working day and for an event that's seen as less exciting to watch.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I found a site that has OS maps of the route, complete with details of where there are toilets, cafes and screens:
    http://www.gosurrey.info/olympic-road-c ... tor-guide/

I'm not at all familiar with the area either, so wasn't sure where to go, I was thinking of just getting the train to Hampton Court and then walking to a spot.
    Ideally I'd like somewhere with a good corner to get some nice photos, but also includes both the Men & Women's course.

Anyone know what area of Hampton Court Palace is restricted?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    After all that my wife needed the car today, and I was too tight to spring for the train route, so I shall be doing some jobs around the house today and watching it on the sofa this afternoon. Having a feeling I may live to regret not just getting the train down.

Hope those who are going have a great day.
  • dubcat
    I was heading to sigma sports. Got to clapham junction and then saw train loads of people going to Hampton Court. Decided to join them for the atmosphere. Hope we get a good spot to watch from. Have my 3 year old twins, their double push chair and the mrs in tow.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    had an unbelievable day at sigma sports. timoid - thank you sir for that top tip......
  • dubcat
    I managed to get right on the barrier right outside Hampton Court station. This was perfect because my girls were able to stand on the barrier and watch the whole thing. Here is the video of Wiggo I shot :)

http://youtu.be/B-kDEQ_jfdQ
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    PBo wrote:
    had an unbelievable day at sigma sports. timoid - thank you sir for that top tip......

Most welcome. Pretty sure I saw Dan Craven there yesterday.

http://www.london2012.com/athlete/craven-dan-1058011/

Still got the beard, but the hair was more sane.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.