Marathon Plus tires

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
I have a set on my commuter. Out of curiousity do these give a hard ride due to the still side walls or are touring tires much of a muchness?

thanks

sam

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    samsbike wrote:
    I have a set on my commuter. Out of curiousity do these give a hard ride due to the still side walls or are touring tires much of a muchness?

thanks

sam

Fairly hard ride though you can drop the pressures they will take quite low pressures.
  • FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    The sidewalls aren't 'still', they're the same as other tyres. The main thickness/puncture protection is on the actual tread area, so ride comfort is relatively unaffected. The only downside i found with them is weight
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    FunBus wrote:
    The sidewalls aren't 'still', they're the same as other tyres. The main thickness/puncture protection is on the actual tread area, so ride comfort is relatively unaffected. The only downside i found with them is weight

correct on both counts. The tread is very thick with having the extra puncture protection layer.
    They weigh so much. My 700x28c weigh nearly 800g each. Compare that with some Conti GP4000s in 700x23c and they were about 200g! (I know different size each but it shows the point)
  • Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    samsbike wrote:

Not sure what you mean by 'still' but if you infer that they're rigid, then no they're not.

The sidewalls are rubber like other tyres, but the rubber is thicker which makes them less pliable. This reduces the bounciness which makes the tyre less shock absorbent. This is what gives a 'harsh' ride.

Tyres with thinner sidewalls offer a softer ride, but thin sidewalls are not as durable.

With tyres there is always a trade-off.