Should I replace brake pads?

conkers
conkers Posts: 10
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
SLX M666 rear brake. It seems at some point I haven't aligned the caliper properly and the pads have worn to the misalignment. As in the leading edge of the right pad has worn thin but lots of meat on the leading edge of the left pad, the wear is reversed on the trailing edges.
My question is will this wear make the pistons skew in the caliper and damage them?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really.

but adjust the caliper by eye and bed them in again.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • conkers
    conkers Posts: 10
    Thanks for easing my mind.
    The wear is quite exaggerated so I don't hold out much hope that they will square up on the next few rides but I can live with that as long as it's not causing damage to the caliper.
    Thanks again.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Pads are so cheap from the likes of Superstar and Disco I would replace the pads. If they are so badly worn they arent going to improve and if you do a long ride and they wear to the backing plate you could score your disc.

My opinion splash a tenner on some sintered pads from Superstar and put it down to a lesson learned.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Or splash 22 and get yourself 4 sets. Not worth worry for something so cheap on something so important.