IOC blames social networks for poor coverage

oldwelshman
oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
edited July 2012 in Pro race
FFS the IOC niw claim that so many spectators were using social media during the mens race that this clogged the mobile network they wre eusing for timings :D
Utter crap, cannot believe that they relied entirely on a mobile network as these are never reliable at any time, cant believe they do not have the technology to do their comms on own infrastructure.
Today they were asking mobile users to only send urgent messages wtf.
heres what they said

With around one million people lining the roads for the Olympic race the mobile network used by broadcasters became jammed by the mobile traffic, preventing organisers from receiving crucial timing and positional updates.
An IOC spokesman suggested that spectators watching today’s women’s race should only send “urgent” social media updates to avoid a repeat.
Coverage of the first major event of the Games for the domestic audience was undermined by an appalling service from the Olympic Broadcast Service, which was unable to provide crucial information to commentators.
There were also no maps to tell spectators where the competitors were on the 250km route from central London to Surrey and back.
BBC sources said they were not expecting to receive updates in today’s women’s race either, and during the first 90 minutes of the race there had been no on-screen updates.

link :
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/9436271/London-2012-Olympics-tweeting-spectators-caused-road-race-coverage-shambles.html
Oh by the way Cav won in Belgium today so the effects of the TDF must have worn off today (David Bond pay note)

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Was watching a bit of the boxing today and the coverage was just as bad. No scores on the screen or anything. You wonder if the people running the IOC ever actually watch sport.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    INRNG has some stuff on this. Race radio had all the times, so teams knew the score, they just didn't get it out to commentators. And they'd asked for a "clean screen" without a load of mess like distance, gaps etc....

Utter twats.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    afx237vi wrote:
    Was watching a bit of the boxing today and the coverage was just as bad. No scores on the screen or anything. You wonder if the people running the IOC ever actually watch sport.

I noticed this with the boxing.

I thought that was because the judges keep the score to themselves. Thinking about it, I realise I just made this up in my head.
  • It is really bad this time - something's obviously gone badly wrong so I expect the tale to come out shortly with everyone blaming everyone else
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    afx237vi wrote:

I thought that was because the judges keep the score to themselves. Thinking about it, I realise I just made this up in my head.

No you didnt. They've changed the rules so that the scores are only shown at the end of the round.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    afx237vi wrote:

+10 to this.

They have always shown the scores on the screen as legal shots land (in recent times anyway). It is one of the features which makes it so absorbing to watch. Until now.

I cannot believe they have got this small thing wrong.
  • Paulie W
    jim453 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

+10 to this.

They have always shown the scores on the screen as legal shots land (in recent times anyway). It is one of the features which makes it so absorbing to watch. Until now.

I cannot believe they have got this small thing wrong.

Again, they haven't - this is a rule change.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Paulie W wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

No you didnt. They've changed the rules so that the scores are only shown at the end of the round.

I clearly remember last olympics watching James de Gale win gold and the points shown on the screen. Do you know what the thinking behind this rule change is? What would it matter if tv audiences knew what was going on? It actually makes it easier to watch if you know what shots score points you can work out the scoring shots.

I saw the IOC excuse on the grauniad website this morning, thought it was total BS.
  • Paulie W
    MrTapir wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

I clearly remember last olympics watching James de Gale win gold and the points shown on the screen. Do you know what the thinking behind this rule change is? What would it matter if tv audiences knew what was going on? It actually makes it easier to watch if you know what shots score points you can work out the scoring shots.

I saw the IOC excuse on the grauniad website this morning, thought it was total BS.

They are dumping the electronic scoring altogether after London 2012 and going back to the traditional judges verdict with the outcome only revealed at the end. The problem of showing the scores on screen is that the fighters know the scores as well - their corners tell them - and adjust their style accordingly. It completely changes the flow of a bout. Electronic scoring generally has had a very negative effect on amateur boxing (and in turn on pro boxing) because it makes fighters focus on landing single shots rather than combinations.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Paulie W wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

They are dumping the electronic scoring altogether after London 2012 and going back to the traditional judges verdict with the outcome only revealed at the end. The problem of showing the scores on screen is that the fighters know the scores as well - their corners tell them - and adjust their style accordingly. It completely changes the flow of a bout. Electronic scoring generally has had a very negative effect on amateur boxing (and in turn on pro boxing) because it makes fighters focus on landing single shots rather than combinations.

Oh i see, thanks for explaining that i had no idea. Although i should have thought of it because its the same at a normal boxing match isnt it when the commentators make a guess and you only find out at the end when they read the scorecards out.
  • MrTapir wrote:
    ...Although i should have thought of it because its the same at a normal boxing match isnt it when the commentators make a guess and you only find out at the end when the unknown third party threatens to leave a horse's head in the bed of the judges if the wrong decision is given out.

Sorry, I've edited your comment based on the experience I have on what I've seen previously.

Call me cynical if you must.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Paulie W wrote:
    MrTapir wrote:
    Paulie W wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

How very informative. Thank you.

Shame though, the scores really added to the viewing experience.