Riding in Majorca

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
OK, The Mrs has booked me, herself and our little girl for 10 day stay at an all inclusive holiday to Peurto Pollensa in Majorca.
Never been to Majorca before, and I understand that there's some good riding in Majorca (Good enough for Mr Wiggins, good enough for me).

So A few questions...

Am I near any where worth riding?
Would I be able to bring my own bike?
If not, is there anywhere nearby to hire a road bike?

All help on the above and anything else I haven't thought of is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• andybrock
    andybrock Posts: 17
    All I can say is lucky Boogerd
    Majorca has truly fantastic riding and the good news is you are not far from most of it!!
    Straight out of PP you have a fabulous (shortish) ride which runs out to the Cap Formentor lighthouse (great climbs,wonderful scenery)
    Other must dos in the area include The Soller and Puig Major climbs,Sa Colobra (the infamous 'road to nowhere'- like a mini Alpe D'Huez),Luc monastery,Sineau and literaly hundreds more
    Bike hire - there are a number of gresat bike shops in the area - nearest is in Alcudia - just up the road from you
    There are many websites extolling Majorcas virtues as a cycling venue - they are all right!
    Have a wonderful holiday
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    Haven't been to the north for 3 years, but when we did it was great. as above - the Sa Colobra is a fantastic Alpe substitute.... Lluc, Muro, Felanitx etc are all good rides... In April, we went to El Arenal, there are some good rides there to, lots of cyclists - everyone is well disposed to the 2 wheeled fiends on Majorca - unlike here....
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    There is a bike radar thread listing loads of different routes you can download. Try a search. Maybe even do a segment search on Strava and look at popular rides.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Worth getting a road-map of the area. Lot's of nice back roads. Good bike hire out there - google it. Climb from Pollensa town over to Lluc is good (coffee stop at the monastery) but turn left then right and you are on the way to Soller or Sa Calobra. Flatter stuff going south to Sa Pobla. Worth riding to Felantix and Inca.Some great cakes/espresso to be had
    M.Rushton
  • Leesykoi
    Leesykoi Posts: 338
    I stayed AI at Club Pollentia last year and loved cycling there :D
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Try and find posts on here by Mallorcajeff, He has my dream lifestyle, and is a top bloke from reading his posts, I m sure if you PM him he will respond with some top advice,

Not heard from him for a while hope he's well.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Club Pollentia is excellent but there are a couple of hotels around there that may be cheaper. Club Pollentia does have a clientele of cyclists/runners etc esp. German. So fewer fatties lounging around.
    M.Rushton
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    mrushton wrote:
    Club Pollentia is excellent but there are a couple of hotels around there that may be cheaper. Club Pollentia does have a clientele of cyclists/runners etc esp. German. So fewer fatties lounging around.

No chance of getting a sun lounger though
  • neil.s
    neil.s Posts: 123
    Bike hire?

Pro Bike Hire in Puerto Pollensa. They have regular shop rides too. I joined them last year for a 100km ride. I was a little worried about the heat but managed it, even after getting a puncture after 15km then spending the next 15km riding nearly flat out trying to keep up behind the shop guy who fixed the puncture for me (nice!) until we caught we the others.

The guys at the shop were really helpful, they change the rides often. The ride I joined was undulating, into the foothills to a place called Petra then back. I hired a bike a different day and did the ride out to the lighthouse at Formentor. Thoroughly recommend that ride, but do it early. Riding through the tunnel was great fun.

I wished I was going back this year as I'd be at Pro Bike Hire as soon as I had dumped my case!

Enjoy, you will. Then you'll want go back again next year.