looking for some new wheels

Willock
Willock Posts: 41
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all i have a carrera vengeance at the moment and im looking to get a spare set of wheels with slicker tiers for road travel iv got the disks, wheels and tires sorted but i dont know what cassette to buy, i know it needs to be 8 speed but i dont know the sizes thanks for any advice you can give cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So you're not actually looking for new wheels? Any 8 speed cassette will fit, but you'll probably have to adjust the brakes and index the mech every time you swap wheels. It's often simpler just to swap tyres.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    cooldad wrote:
    So you're not actually looking for new wheels? Any 8 speed cassette will fit, but you'll probably have to adjust the brakes and index the mech every time you swap wheels. It's often simpler just to swap tyres.

Any 8 speed cassette will fit for sure - you will probably want to go for a road oriented cassette as the ratios will work better, might not need such a low gear depending on where you live. On of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1864 would probably work or these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=68154 if you want the bigger granny gear.

I think CD may be a bit negative here - in theory the cassette should be OK and probably the disc - depends slightly - if you have identical hubs may nto be such an issue, theoretically even across brands and models hubs should be similar enough. If you already have the wheel and disc its probably worth trying.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've very rarely have got this to work without adjustment - even with the same models, the axles can be slightly off! I always have to adjust.

You can shim the discs though, and if cup and cone hubs, slightly respace the axle then redish the wheel.