Shoe for SPD and flats - possible?

Chris`I
Chris`I Posts: 206
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm after a new pair of shoes for flats as I'm doing more trail riding than XC these days as the missus is progressing nicely on technical stuff - we did W2 at Afan yesterday and she rolled down the black option nicely and really got the bug for it. Currently I run Spesh Tahoe shoes with XT trail SPDs. Looking at getting a set of DMR Vaults and need shoes to suit them. Ideally I'd like something that can take to both pedals with some kind or removable/swapable cover for the SPDs.

Are there any sensible options out there that work? I've seen 5.10 Hellcats seem to have a removable cover, so could use them. Or am I plain better off just getting some flat only shoes and keep the Tahoe for when I want SPD? They are getting a bit tired now. I used to ride flats all the time, so may well end up back on flats completely, but the 5.10's just look too chunky to me for all day riding.
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
2012 Boardman Road Team

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I think most Five Tens have a removable cover for cleats, but it'll be a pain in the arse swapping them over all the time. You might as well just buy a separate shoe for flats, seeing as you already have some SPD shoes. I've never been to a trail centre though that's technical enough to warrant riding flats rather than SPDs, trail centre blacks aren't really that tricky...

Anyway, if you want some flat shoes, Five Tens are pretty much the way to go. There's a reason that if you go to an uplift day etc, 99% of flat shoes riders will be wearing them. As for all day riding, I don't see how bulky shoes would hinder that? They're comfortable and stay warm in winter.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I dont think the spd cover is removable and replacable on most shoes - in my experience (as on the Tahoe if I recall) its a panel you cut off to expose the spd mounting bolts. Once you have a cleat installed you pretty much write off the ability to use the shoe with flats whether the shoe is a 510 or a shimano/specialized one.

For more pedally riding if you were going 510 and flats I'd look at the Freerider Pro - bit less chnky but you may find the sole of th eshoe becomes too flexy over time, not sure, that is what I was told by the local shop but then I was riding in DC's and there was no way a shoe could have got flexier than those old shoes!

I would go for TEVA Links http://www.teva.com/mens-outdoor-shoes-and-sandals/men,default,sc.html#prefn1=activityprefv1=Bike if it was me and I could have found them before I got my 510's. For me the 510's are proving a little TOO grippy, not enough "float" feel like clipped in but almost more solidly than the shimano spd, if you put your foot on the pedal wrong its too difficult to readjust on uneven terrain and I'm finding its not good for my knee, couple of people have the TEVA's and say they are a good compromise between the 510s and a skate shoe.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Yeah the Tahoe have a once only cover on the SPD mounts, but the 5.10's I've seen online seem to have the SPD cover screw into the normal SPD holes when you dont want to use them - think its just the Hellcats and Minnars that are like that.

The reason I've been tempted by flats is I'm signed up to the Dirt School Freeride course at Peaslake. They've said to come with flats and its been giving me that "little devil on the shoulder" feeling of giving flats a go again. Dont want to splurge loads on flats again if I dont like them so would be good if I could make the shoe into an SPD version if I did decide to keep SPD. On the flip side I dont want to turn up to the course in just trainers and find it uncomfortable when I'm used to nice stiff(ish) SPD shoes. When we were in the Alps and also on W2 where were a few drops other trail features I would have prefered to be on flats and didnt give them a go because of SPD and no bail out option.

I know what you're saying Paul with respect to the "too much grip" problem. I rode the missus bike with her vaults with my trainers on and it felt a little uncomfortable without the float I am used to from my SPDs. I assumed this would be something that would go with time. I have an Evans just around the corner from work, I'll get them order in those Teva Links as I was actually looking at them online earlier. See what they feel like on one of their demo bikes and go from there.

Think the genera consensus is that SPD and flats in one shoe is a no go. Will give the Teva's a look and if I like them, try them on our old V8's and if I like that, I'll get some vaults :D
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I always kinda assumed that the 510 spd shoes have stiffer soles and possibly lack the pure grip of the normal 510 shoes in any case and I'd definitely have thought that having a mounting plate in the ball of the foot would ultimately interfere with the flex and feel of a shoe designed for gripping a flat pedal.

I'd go for either the TEVA or a pure 510 flat. I used to ride spd all the time and dont see me going back now, I dont find I miss the clipped in effect at all and the 510's (if I get my foot int he right place) are almost too much grip (I was wary of trying a few raised log rides as I wasnt sure I'd get my foot off the pedal if I needed to jump for it!).

Good luck with the hunt.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I've used my Freeriders for XC before when my SPDs were still wet from the day before or something, they're not as nice for pedalling in, but the sole was still nice and thick/stiff after a good bit of use.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5