Boardman Comp

bowden769
bowden769 Posts: 143
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi peeps

I am have finally got my boardman comp

Checked it over all seems ok bar a squeak from the brake at the front!! and the fact that the spec list on the website says it will be supplied with Continental Mountain King tryes and mine had Rapid Robs on. my question is are the RR beter that the conti? Should i ring halfords and ask them what they are playing at ??

Is there any thing i should be wary of?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Specs do change, but you are entitled to what the retailer advertisers. But the tyres are neither here nor there, in fact the RRs could well be better as standard MKs get slippery.

The bike needs to bed in, then will need readjusting.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Rapid Rob is the old tread Racing Ralph as I understand it - so a pretty good tyre in the right conditions. Cube supply them on many of their bikes. I would stick with them (but then my name is appropriately Rob!) but if you want the Mountain Kings, you should be able to go back and insist on them - provided you dont ride these ones too much first.

Brakes will make noises at times, especially while they are bedding in. Best thing is to find a downhill and do a few big braking spots, releasing just before you stop - generating some heat in them. At the bottom, you can pour a little water on the rotors and apparently if it sizzles they are done! As supersonic says, they may need adjusting then.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    apreading wrote:

Brakes will make noises at times, especially while they are bedding in. Best thing is to find a downhill and do a few big braking spots, releasing just before you stop - generating some heat in them. At the bottom, you can pour a little water on the rotors and apparently if it sizzles they are done! As supersonic says, they may need adjusting then.
    why would they need adjusting ?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Centre the calipers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    Ive got the Boardman Comp and to be honest the MK's were pretty crap, very poor in muddy conditions and slipped all over the place in the wet, don't know anything about the RR's though.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    edited July 2012
    Mountain King tyres have to be the "black chilli" compound to be of any use, but that's eye wateringly expensive.
    I doubt that anyone offers those on their bikes OEM, so you'll just end up with a very hard compound, with the same tread design as an MK2, but with none of the performance.

Stick to the RR.
  • bowden769
    wow!! i didn't expect so many replies... what great guy you are!! ( pat on the back to you)

looks like i shall be sticking with the RR for the time being

just going to have a look at the parktools site to see about adjusting the caliper!!

thanks
  • cooldad
    Loosen the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake, retighten the bolts.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    Loosen the caliper bolts, squeeze the brake, retighten the bolts.
    That's repeated so often it's practically gospel, but I've never had satisfactory results by doing it that way - I always prefer to line it up by eye.
  • cooldad
    Yeah but my eyes are old and can't focus on anything close up.

The secret is retightning. You need to make sure the caliper doesn't move as the tendency is to twist a bit just as it gets tight.

But it doesn't matter which way, I was just doing my good deed for the day and saving him a trip to Parktools.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    Good choice of bike. As said above always a few tweaks needed at first then a re-adjustment after a few weeks riding and bedding in.

Would recommend putting some protection on top of the fork crown where the cables run as they rubbed through the paint on mine after a particularly muddy/gritty ride! Lizard skins do some neat little patches which are clear.

Echo the comments ref the Conti MK2 tyres, they slide like crazy in the mud. I'm looking to change mine soon but pedals were the first upgrade.

Enjoy, its a great bike for the money!
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    i have a comp too. had it about 4 or 5 wks. its a great bike for the money. my only problem is im suffering from the curse of the bottom bracket failures. i got it back from halfords yest and they have stripped it down and greased it but a few miles on it today and the clicking noise is faint but its coming back. its a very common problem but still doesnt make it acceptable. im sure they will get it sorted but its hassle.
    it hasnt dampened my love for the bike though and its a great ride. you wont find many bikes in this price range with such a good fork too.
    Boardman comp 2012
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    One 80 wrote:
    i have a comp too. had it about 4 or 5 wks. its a great bike for the money. my only problem is im suffering from the curse of the bottom bracket failures. i got it back from halfords yest and they have stripped it down and greased it but a few miles on it today and the clicking noise is faint but its coming back. its a very common problem but still doesnt make it acceptable. im sure they will get it sorted but its hassle.
    isn't that problem supposed to be with the bb30 on the pro, not the fsa on the comp ? if its the actual bb clicking, surely its a sealed unit, it needs replacing,
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • bowden769
    One 80 wrote:
    it hasnt dampened my love for the bike though and its a great ride. you wont find many bikes in this price range with such a good fork too.

sorry when would i hear this clicking noise i am new to all this sorry
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    chez_m356 wrote:
    One 80 wrote:
    isn't that problem supposed to be with the bb30 on the pro, not the fsa on the comp ? if its the actual bb clicking, surely its a sealed unit, it needs replacing,

i have read a lot about the bb30 but iv read a lot of comps having problems too.

yeh it is sealed but halfords staff are silly billys.
    Boardman comp 2012
  • steviecapt
    steviecapt Posts: 70
    Hi iv,e got a boardman team r, i had the same problem with the clicking noise, so i looked into it further, turned out to be peddle bearings wer,nt seated properly, greased them up never had the noise back since, btw best value for money bikes around at the moment, so long as you check the bike over after halfords staff have had thier hands on it , mine had contaminated front brake pads, possibly someone too eager with the polish, anyway good luck with your bike cheers steve.
  • bowden769
    also the forks are very hard is it possible to soften them a bit
  • cooldad
    Let some air out. Have you got a shock pump? You need to set the sag for your weight.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    Get one of these shock pumps
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BETO-PRECISIO ... 134wt_1270

As Cooldad said above bleed some air out, say 5-10PSI (by pressing the red button on pump). Pop a zip tie on fork and go ride. If your not using most of the travel repeat above steps. Make a note of PSI for future reference.
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • cooldad
    Nope, use a zip tie and set sag at about 25% and rebound just fast enough to compress the forks and get the wheel off the ground fractionally before the fork extends fully. Then ride and fine tune.
    And when you recheck, do the whole procedure - seals etc soften so what pessure is right today may not be right tomorrow.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools